Major League glove preperation

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Major League glove preperation

Postby worldwin » August 23rd, 2007, 12:39 am

Many of you already know what some ball players do to break in their gloves, but here is another recent article in case some of you are curious.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=a8EGgpFRYPIU
worldwin
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby spedrunr » August 23rd, 2007, 1:26 am

sounds like most break in methods lack time and patience. every one wants a quick fix :roll:

but then again, nobody is paying me millions to catch a ball either
Last edited by spedrunr on August 23rd, 2007, 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
spedrunr
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby worldwin » August 23rd, 2007, 1:54 am

spedrunr,

I was just talking to my wife about this.

To many pros, a glove is like a bat, just something to use and chuck when they are done with it, or when it breaks...they are disposable!

I think this is why players do all this wacky stuff to break in a glove as fast as they can.

But as you say, no one is paying me big bucks to catch a ball either, so who knows what kind of stupid stuff I would do to get a glove ready as fast as I could?

Too bad I will never find out!
worldwin
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » August 23rd, 2007, 2:08 am

Shaving cream seems to be a popular option. Lanolin is good stuff, but the assumption that shaving cream contains lonolin is a mistaken one.

This probably rates pretty high on the "geek factor" scale- several years ago, while my wife was shopping in a large drug store, I checked the ingredients listed on about two dozen different brands and varieties of shaving cream.

One of the clerks gave me a funny look, though not as funny as when I was searching through the nursing mother's supplies for lanolin breast cream!

Of all those cans, only one- "Beard Buster" from Barbasol- listed lanolin as one of the ingredients.

Things most all of them did have were water, soap, dye, stearic acid, isobutane, triethanolamine (okay- I had to look that one up) and a laundry list of chemical compounds that I couldn't even pronounce.

Wonder if any of that stuff is good for leather?
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion