Mantle XPGH, XPG6, XPG6H

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Mantle XPGH, XPG6, XPG6H

Postby leftygomez » August 22nd, 2007, 10:42 pm

In the movie "61" was Mantle(Thomas Jane) wearing an original XPGH or did someone make his glove for the movie and what happened to it after the movie was shot? It looked pretty authentic. Anyone know?
leftygomez
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby toad » August 22nd, 2007, 11:17 pm

The Glove was made by Bob Clevenhagen at Rawlings along with the Roger Marris Splading. Bob had told me they still had a few of the Splading labels in the Ava plant from the days when Rawlings made the Spalding gloves.

Good question when I saw "61" I had the same queston and asked Bob myself.
Hope that helps.
Todd
:D
toad
Veteran Glove Poster

mantle and maris glove from "61"

Postby leftygomez » August 23rd, 2007, 11:18 am

thanks for the anwsers, wonder where they wound up?
leftygomez
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Mantle XPGH, XPG6, XPG6H

Postby mikesglove » August 6th, 2013, 3:57 am

From 1964 Sport magazine. Mantles XPG6H may have the leather web connector strap wrapped by rolled lacing.

Other purported Mantle game models have the leather connector strap wrapped with rolled lace between the webs.
The model below is circa 1962

Below is the Billy Crystal glove with a cut off web strap and added rolled lacing.

below is a circa 1966 Mantle game model with the leather connecting strap intact

Below are a couple of store models. First is a is a Mantle XPH6-H with the leather strap web connector and the later "H-Web" stamping

Second is a killer Mantle XPGH with no leather connecting strap designed into the glove, just the rolled lace. This one has "H-Web" stamped on the thumb and possibly a mid to later 60's model.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion