Hats off!!

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Hats off!!

Postby nygiants » August 21st, 2007, 11:21 am

I would like to give a hats off to ebbets55 and his web site. He has worked very hard since going online and it shows. Beautiful gloves!!! It's hard to pick favorites but right now, they would have to be the D&M George Kelly basemitt from the Mike Ellis collection (looks like an autograph on the back)and the Art Fletcher Rawlings 1 inch web2 from the Mark Walters collection. They make my mouth water and I would love to hear the story behind them.

If you haven't checked it out, make sure you have plenty of time because you can't just zip through.

Keep up the good work Jim!!.

Doug
nygiants
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » August 21st, 2007, 12:01 pm

That is a cool web site. And it turned out to be a helpful reference for me a couple of weeks ago.

I was restoring a Rawlings Bill Doak glove, an H-model, and wanted to double check the lacing arrangement of the web. JD's site made it easy, as there are at least a half-dozen examples to be found there. The "zoom" feature on the photos made it easy to get a close-up view of the webbing detail.

Of further interest to me was the fact that the H-models seem to have two distinct variations of the web itself, as well as some distinctly different fastener buttons and patch variations.

Yes, a very cool web site, indeed!
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

D&M George Kelly

Postby ebbets55 » August 21st, 2007, 12:24 pm

Thanks Doug and Bret for the kind words. I still have about 2,000 gloves in backlog to upload. I'm more interested in putting in gloves from other people's collections so please keep them coming. I'll get them up first.

D&M George Kelly - Doug, you have great taste and a great eye. If I could choose any glove in this whole hobby to have, the highest quality, best feeling, most beautiful glove/mitt in existence, it would be Mike's D&M George Kelly. And that's saying a lot because Mike has a bunch that fall into this category. I have seen tens of thousands of gloves and this mitt is by far, the nicest mitt I have ever laid eyes on. If I could give an award to the single nicest glove/mitt in the hobby it would be this one hands down without a fight and you guys know I'm not a basemitt guy. I go fielders, catchers, then basemitts. You have to see it in person to truly appreciate it as much as I do. It's big and made of Wapiti Elk. It's also autographed by Kelly himself on the back and came from his estate. It is uncatalogued and we think it was made for Kelly directly by D&M. It's truly stunning and my bad pictures don't do it justice.

Mike, you win the nicest glove in the world contest with this one in my opinion, but then again I tell you that each time I see you.

JD
ebbets55

Enter the New Era

Postby softball66 » August 21st, 2007, 2:42 pm

JD has ushered us into the new world of the internet display with a great new tool for us all. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then John's site is worth, how much? Let's See!!!
Thanks a quadrillion JD!!!!!!!@@!!!!!!

:idea:
softball66

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion