Joe Dimaggio Question From eBay

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Joe Dimaggio Question From eBay

Postby BretMan » August 18th, 2007, 11:47 am

I don't know if any of you ever visit the eBay "Sports Memorabilia" discussion boards, but every once in awhile someone will post a glove-related question there.

This question popped up recently: A poster who has a block letter Joe Dimaggio glove also has an unusual hang tag along with it. The poster was trying to get information on the tag. I've never seen one like it.

Here is a link to the post along with photos of the tag:

eBay Discussion Thread
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » August 18th, 2007, 4:44 pm

Definitely an OK mitt. I would say that the tag was added at some point based on how well used the glove is but that is just a guess.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

DiMaggio Glove Tag

Postby pleasantiques » August 20th, 2007, 3:53 pm

Hello everyone! I see that bretman has done a lot of my work for me. :D I'm really curious as to the origin of the DiMaggio tag. Can anyone clue me in to old glove tags in general? Are they common, were they mostly paper/cardboard or were there a lot of plastic picture tags like this one? Thanks in advance, any info is greatly appreciated! -Darin @ Pleasantiques
pleasantiques
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » August 20th, 2007, 4:02 pm

All of the tags I've seen from this era have been heavy paper stock. I still think the tag might have been added later. The picture of DiMaggio and the glove charm are reminiscent of some pins I've seen from that era - maybe someone took the pin and made this tag for a display? There are still pretty neat. And because it seems to be a WWII issue glove it probably wouldn't have had a tag in the first place.

Still a great glove - I'm always looking to add OK / Sonnett gloves to my collection. If you are looking to get rid of it, just let me know. Thanks!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby pleasantiques » August 20th, 2007, 5:11 pm

VintageBrett - Thanks for the info. I did occur to me that this may have been a "homemade" tag but if it is it's extremely well done.

I may ask around to see if anyone has seen this particular picture of DiMaggio that was used for the tag. I'm also going to go over the tag with a magnifying glass to see if I can determine whether it could have easily been homemade.

Thanks again! -Darin @ Pleasantiques
pleasantiques
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion