Pee Wee Reese ?

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Pee Wee Reese ?

Postby CWilliams » August 9th, 2007, 12:10 pm

Hi, I was hoping someone could give me some info on a glove I have. 20 years, or so, ago I found a glove in a old grown up field. It was under old grass and is kind of faded a bit. I am trying to get some sort of feeling of how old it is.

Description:

I think it is a Rawlings PMA as there is a shield like emblem on the hand strap with what I think is the letters PMA. It is a 5 fingered glove with Pee Wee Reese Signature. There is also M1000 on the palm. To me it looks as it might be a 60's glove, but I really don't have a clue! If anyone could give me some insight it would be appreciated.

Thanks
CWilliams
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » August 9th, 2007, 12:42 pm

This one has me stumped.

Rawlings did sell a "PMA" model glove in 1950 and '51, but there is no record of Pee Wee having endorsed their gloves. The "M1000" designation doesn't jibe with any Rawlings stamping or model that I'm aware of.

Are you sure it's a Rawlings glove? Reese was a popular player and prolific endorser. He is known to have endorsed gloves for many different companies throughout his career. Among them: American, Cambridge, Champion, Denkert, Drier, Dubow, EmJay, Folsom, Franklin, Maximus, Montgomery Ward, Olympian, Olympic and Yale.

If you're sure about the Rawlings I.D. on the glove, I can offer a possible lead. Rawlings was known to make gloves for other companies, most notably Montgomery Ward. This could possibly be a Rawlings-made glove that was intended for sale through another retailer. It was common for such gloves to carry different stampings, model numbers or endorsers than the like-model Rawlings glove.

Can you post a picture? Someone here is likely to have some information on your glove and a picture might do the trick. You can email a pic to me if you'd like: bretstumpf@hotmail.com
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Some Pictures

Postby CWilliams » August 9th, 2007, 5:11 pm

I really don't have any idea if it is Rawlings. I think the hand strap has PMA, so I assumed it would be Rawlings. It may be FMA, it is faded and hard to see.

I am not sure how to post images, so I will send them to you, could you post them?

Thanks[/img]
CWilliams
Rookie Glove Poster

Mizuno ?

Postby CWilliams » August 9th, 2007, 6:02 pm

After looking at some pictures of other gloves, it seems have some features of a Mizuno. Is M1000 a Mizuno model?
CWilliams
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » August 9th, 2007, 9:32 pm

Thanks for the pictures- they are posted here.

Definitely not a Rawlings. Possibly this was made by one of the less-known companies. The glove looks to be a 60's model. Hopefully, someone out there will have seen one of these before, or recognize the logo.

BretMan

Postby jwoody » August 11th, 2007, 7:44 pm

LOOKS LIKE CAMBRIDGE GLOVE....EBAY ITEM # 320146531642....
3fingerwoody
jwoody
Veteran Glove Poster

right on!

Postby softball66 » August 11th, 2007, 9:35 pm

Cambridge it is. I've had one of these. Sort of typical early import glove.
Strange Reese, hofer, didn't have a big company endorsement. Was on some Denkerts and its off brands and Dubow. :roll:
softball66

Postby BretMan » August 11th, 2007, 11:13 pm

Great I.D. job on the glove! I have one Cambridge glove in my collection and it is packed in box, so I couldn't check the stampings or logo.
BretMan

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion