Satchel Paige Gamer

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Satchel Paige Gamer

Postby softball66 » August 6th, 2007, 1:57 pm

Fellow glovers pull up this Historic Auctions page on a Satchel Paige game used glove (of his days with the Monarchs). It's a mid 1950s Curt Simmons D&M glove. Hard to believe someone went this far with this glove's claim:

http://www.historicauctions.com/
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » August 6th, 2007, 2:19 pm

Which claim is a stretch? That Satchel Paige was the greatest player ever or that this glove belonged him?

Joe, how did this glove come to your attention? Did someone contact you with questions about its authenticity? Did the seller offer any providence to back his claims?

Ol' Satch hit the big leagues in '48. The DG918 Simmons was produced from '53 to '59 several years after Paige's "days with the Monarchs".

Maybe the seller's story is on the level, as far as he knows. Maybe when he traded that glove for those fishing waders, Satch was pulling a fast one! :wink:
Last edited by BretMan on August 6th, 2007, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BretMan

Postby vintagebrett » August 6th, 2007, 2:25 pm

Historic Auctions reputation is not one many people hold in high esteem. Buyer beware.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Turning Another Paige

Postby softball66 » August 6th, 2007, 2:56 pm

I saw this glove first time when it was run by Heritage Auctions and told them it was more likely that Curt Simmons wore a Satchel Paige glove.
This glove has even been featured in Beckett Elite by Historic.
Check that chipped vinyl binding on the back. Don't know about the signatures on the glove.
I would really be curious about which gloves Paige did wear. He was in St. Louis by 1952 I think so we would assume he had some access to Rawlings gloves at that point.
softball66

Postby jackwhale » August 8th, 2007, 1:39 pm

There is a picture of "Satchel Page's autographed game-worn glove from the 1940s" in Smithsonian Baseball by Stephen Wong. Its a split finger and is pictured on the Contents page.

Historic auctions said that 'he traded a pair of his beloved fishing waiters'. I don't want to know anymore about that trade.
jackwhale
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion