Need information about MacGregor Model 10F10

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Need information about MacGregor Model 10F10

Postby jamesthelast » August 2nd, 2007, 2:12 am

I'm hoping there are some MacGregor experts among the members who can help me with some information about this glove. Joe Phillips tried to help, but couldn't find anything in his sources. Glove appears to be a high-end model - made of Premium Prohide - large glove - has the model number stamped on the inside of the thumb. I'm guessing that glove may be from the 70s. Typical MacGregor overlacing, and I'm not sure it's laced correctly. The two middle fingers have eight lacing holes each and the little finger has six. Web has a single vertical post and two that run horizontally. Haven't been able to find anything really similar on Ebay. Any help appreciated.
jamesthelast
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » August 2nd, 2007, 5:46 am

Sorry I can't give you specific information about that model. But I do have some general information about MacGregor gloves that might help.

I have several 70's and 80's MacGregors. They all seem to use, for lack of a better description, the "Wilson-style" lacing pattern in the fingers. That is, the finger lace starts at the pinky finger, criss-crosses through the fingers, then when it reaches the index finger it runs straight back through all of the fingers and exits through the pinky again.

This is in contrast to the standard "Rawlings-style" pattern where the lace starts at the pinky, criss-crosses through the fingers, then after reaching the index finger continues on through the top of the webbing, typically as the "corkscrew" lacing at the top of the web.

For either lace pattern the middle two fingers will have eight lace holes, so that is not unusual. Pick up a few different gloves from other makers, count the holes, and you will see what I mean.

The "Rawlings pattern" will have four lace holes in the pinky finger. The "Wilson pattern" has two more to accomodate the lace returning back through the other fingers.

Based on your description, your glove is most likely using the "Wilson pattern" in the fingers.

Your comment about MacGregor gloves being "over-laced" gave me a chuckle! I know what you mean. They certainly spared no expense when it came to using lacing on some of their models!

Some of their lace runs in the palm are especially long, running from the tip of the pinky to the tip of the thumb, while doubling up through the same holes a dozen times.

They also used to have many webs that featured a section laced into the center of the webbing, with a long, continuous spiral in the web body, then another long spiral in the center piece looping through the other one to hold it in place.
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion