1957 Topps and the players gloves

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

1957 Topps and the players gloves

Postby softball66 » August 1st, 2007, 5:56 pm

I just picked up a complete volume of 1957 Topps cards and have looked through the various cards seeing where I can make out glove brands and makes. Elmer Blasco, the promotions man for Rawlings in the 1950s, told me that Rawlings would run polls and 70 to 80% of all players would be wearing Rawlings gloves even though many endorsed a different brand.
I'm sure it was a matter of Rawlings making a superior brand and their reps working very hard to make sure they got in anyone's hands. AND there was probably peer pressure with players with non Rawlings or maybe Wilsons, using another brand.
Of the players I could tell the glove, and remember these pictures could have been made 3 or 4 years before they were used on the card, Rawlings was clearly the dominant glove and most often on the pitchers' hands was the HH Harvey Haddix top-line glove. Rawlings had, where I couldn identify on Ike Delock, Brooks Lawrence, Herm Wehmeier, Tommy Bryne, Bub Buhl, Al Aber, Tom Poholsky, Bob Chalales. These were pitching poses and it was clear to identify the wrist strap, emblem and double lace across the wrist strap.
Willie Mirada, Jim Brosnan, Willard Nixon, Don Goss and Ossie Virgil all apear to have Wilsons. Only Spalding that I could spot was that of Milt Bolling.
1957 was the year the A2000 was introduced to the pros by Wilson but hardly any of these players' pictures were made that year. :shock:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion