What is your biggest "steal"??

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

What is your biggest "steal"??

Postby Bravosin99 » July 27th, 2007, 5:10 pm

Just another topic I thought might be cool to hear some stories about...Share if you wish...

I was wondering what is the best deal/steal, whatever you want to call it, you ever received on a glove you found via auction, ebay, other internet source, etc??

Thanks for comments in advance!

I will consult with dad on ours and post later after some others have posted...This should be interesting lol I have already heard a couple of good stories that made me sick to my stomach haha(wishing I was as lucky) :lol:....
Bravosin99
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » July 27th, 2007, 5:39 pm

Best Ebay deal - blurried picture Spalding buckle back for $17 - turned out to be a Lewis "Hack" Wilson.

Best show find - hmm, quite a few, will have to thing about this.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Our biggest deals

Postby Bravosin99 » July 28th, 2007, 10:23 pm

I would have to say the cheapest glove I ever found was when we first started collecting, when I was around 10, and I was at a garage sale of an older couples house and I got a Wilson Enos Slaughter split for 50 cents..I was with my grandma at the sale and I remember I couldn't wait to get home to show dad..

The best deal we prolly ever got at a show was for three gloves. The guy would only sell them together. We paid $100 for all three....One was our mint Rawlings Doak Model H, the second was a Dimaggio, and the third was a Goldsmith Leo Durocher....All in really good shape....We figured the Doak alone was worth that....Then later on we ended up selling the Durocher for $90 so as we see it we only have $10 in the Doak and Dimaggio!! Sounds like a deal to me :lol:

The best deal we ever got on a bat was when it was raining at a show one time and dad found a Winchester for $8.00...Made walking around the whole time in the rain worth it for the both of us!!
Bravosin99
Gold Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » July 29th, 2007, 1:34 am

I've found some good gloves on the cheap at flea markets over the past few years. A few examples:

Rawlings XPG3 Warren Spahn ($10)
Rawlings HOH PRO-LT Johnny Bench ($15)
Wilson A2000 XXL (import) ($5)
Wilson A2800 (USA) 1B Mitt ($12)
MacGregor G111 Bobby Doerr ($20)

Not a bad bunch of gloves for about 60 bucks. But that does represent hundreds of hours at dozens of shows over a period of about five years, so they're not exactly growing on trees in these parts!

My best eBay deal was one that will probably never be duplicated. About five years ago I bought a group of three gloves for $25. The pictures were blurry and the description was meager, so I wasn't really sure what I was getting other than "three old gloves".

The seller had listed the gloves in an odd category, like "Baseball Protective Equipment", so that meant fewer eyeballs on the auction. He also ran it as a three day auction- even fewer eyeballs. I was the only bidder.

The three gloves turned out to be:

- A Denkert #M30 buckle-back catcher's mitt with Frank Grube endorsement. The kicker on this mitt was that it also had the "Decker Patent" finger protection.

- A Goldsmith #GS George Selkirk model. This horse hide glove has an unusual web. It is a one-piece full web (laced in) that is similar to the one-piece webs of the 50's, only it pre-dates those gloves by a couple of decades.

- An OK #742 Frank Crosetti model. This one also has an unusual web- a "T" shaped webbing that attaches at the top like a normal tunnel web, then also at the thumb crotch through the bottom half of the "T". It has a dark brown shell, but a light grey interior lining.

All three were dusty, but cleaned-up to excellent condition. Pretty good haul for less than $10 a glove!

In an email from the seller, he told me that he found these while helping his uncle clean out his garage. His uncle had tossed them in a trash can, but he dug them out because he thought they might be worth something!
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby crackofthebat » July 29th, 2007, 6:27 am

I have two "steal stories". The first was a nice high quality 1B mitt I saw on eBay. I emailed the owner asking if there was a signature on the glove and he replied that there was absolutely no signature. I ended up winning the glove for $190. Upon receiving the glove I noticed a nice sharp, clean signature on the face of the glove - Lou Gehrig. My second story is about poor photos on eBay. Someone put a poor photo of a 1B mitt up, but at least gave the model number which I recognized. For less than $40 I received a Spalding Jimmie Foxx with most of the silver still in the signature. Like I say "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while"! :D
crackofthebat
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mjkm90 » July 29th, 2007, 7:51 am

In an icecream shop of all places I picked up the following for $40 each.

B&G Walter Johnson
An amazing black Reach 1" web Eddie Collins
A minty Rawlings DS Duke Snider
A minty Spalding N. Fox

I also found a Lazzeri buckle back in a decoy shop for $35. A Pennant mushroom knob bat in amazing condition for $9 and a Hanna Batrite J. Foxx for $3 in a barrel of axe handles at a flea market.
Mike H.
mjkm90
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » July 29th, 2007, 8:13 am

Dad, I'm sure everyone wants to hear your dump story about the Gabby Hartnett bat...
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby crackofthebat » July 29th, 2007, 10:32 am

Well, it is not a glove story, but if you think the readers would find it interesting..........In the spring of 2004 we had contracted to have new windows put on the house and new garage doors installed. Shortly after signing all the contracts we found out my wife had lung cancer and would be out of work for 6 to 8 months for surgery and chemo treatments. We still had one son in college so our resources were going to be very strained to say the least. Living in the country every Saturday you make a trip to the dump (recycling center). One of the girls who works there saves old gloves and bats for me. Because of my wife's operation I hadn't been to the dump in a while (my youngest son was doing the dump run). When I drove up the gal said she had 3 bats she had been saving for me for a number of weeks and was about to toss them if I didn't show up that Saturday. Two of them were Little League bats, but the other was a Gabby Hartnett gamer. How it ended up at a dump in my town I have no idea, but one phone call later I was $7000 dollars richer. We bought a new sound system for the church and paid off all the home improvement work. It was a great baseball find, but a greater lesson in how the Lord will provide. :!:
crackofthebat
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby stockbuddy » July 29th, 2007, 10:55 am

Great story Fred. Thanks for sharing. My glove find steal is what got me interested in gloves in the first place. Actually, I would not call it a "steal" as I did not know what I had even bought. About 12 or 13 years ago, I went to a local yard sale and saw 2 old leather gloves on an old wooden wagon along with some other garage sale items. I had no idea what those gloves were about. They looked very odd to me and I had not recalled seeing anything quite like them over the years. Well, I went on ahead and told the man I would buy them because they seemed so unique to me. I paid the man and went home with my leather friends. It turns out one was a full web glove and the other one was a workman glove. As I shared in my glove book I bought the 2 gloves for a song, but actually I paid 50 cents for the 2 of them. :lol: :lol:

I had no understanding of what I had bought but thought I would keep the webless , for sure, as it was totally strange. I saw an ad in a Sports magazine that a guy was buying gloves back then. Sent him a photo of the glove and he paid me 25 bucks for it. I thought I had done well in that someone paid me 25.00 for my .25 cent purchase.

I later met Rob Mucha by email and his glove website and Rob and Joe Phillips both helped me to understand what I had found. Several years later I traded the webless to Rob as his collection was much more advanced than mine and he traded me several high end evolutionary gloves for mine. So, the webless found a new, safe, home and my passion for the leathers began.

That is my story and I am sticking to it. :D

Dave
stockbuddy

Best bargain

Postby softball66 » July 29th, 2007, 2:10 pm

Kind of hate to use the word "steal" because it implies that you have taken advantage of someone.
Best glove story I have is that several years ago a baseball collector friend of mine, a heart transplant recipient in ill health, found an interest in gloves and his wife, an ardent garage sale enthusiast, found and purchased an old three-finger (pre war) glove with the name Jack Russell. She gave it to her husband and he died several years later leaving her a widow.
She asked if I would help in selling and finding a new home for his items and I told her I could help with the gloves and bats. I cleaned up the Jack Russell glove and put it on eBay where it generated I believe around $300 for her. She had paid 50 cents. That brought the greatest satisfaction to me and of course to her. Like Fred says, the Lord does provide. :P
softball66

Thanks for comments!!

Postby Bravosin99 » July 29th, 2007, 3:00 pm

Thank you everyone for all your great stories thus far...Gotta love this kinda stuff!!!I never get bored reading great stuff like this....

I shouldn't have used the term "steal"....As I never like to purposely take advantage of anyone..I am just used to hearing it from other people, mainly my grandma who is an antique nut lol, and some other guys we know who collect gloves and bats at the shows we go to...So I am sorry if I may have upset or affended anyone by using this deragatory term...

On another note there was a deal to be had at a show we attended today but it wasn't by us!! :( ....Although it was a fellow friend of ours who got the deal so it wasn't so bad...He got a Rawlings HOH Stan Musial for $20!! lol now thats a deal
Bravosin99
Gold Glove Poster

Postby mittmutt » July 29th, 2007, 9:20 pm

This has been a really fun topic. It will be tough for anyone to beat Fred's bat story. I hope everyone finds a great deal once in a while. I've never found anything really valuable but I do have some decent luck at the thrift stores on occasion. Probably my best finds were a Mantle MM5 in excellent ++ condition for three bucks and a Sonnett Eddie Miller pre war in great shape for four bucks.
mittmutt
Veteran Glove Poster

Ken Wel Find

Postby burker72 » July 30th, 2007, 12:00 pm

My glove find is a both a near miss and a home run.

My mother lives in Watertown, NY and she is a frequent visitor to garage sales and flea markets in search for various antiques. Because of our geography I am always hopeful she'll come across a Ken Wel glove or maybe a Kren (Syracuse) bat. Sure enough, she called me one night saying she saw a glove made by Ken Wel that had a zipper on the back. She passed on it though because it was all of $25. As you can imagine, this sent me into a bit of a panic. After some lengthy interrogation it was inconclusive whether or not it was a Gehrig zipperback. She knew it wasn't a fielder's glove, but was unsure if it was a catcher's mitt or baseman's mitt.

I think I got her call on a Tuesday, so I waited the entire week before heading to Watertown on Saturday morning to buy the glove - oh the agony. Sure enough, it was there in a pile of junk, but it was not the Gehrig I hoped for. Instead it was the Muddy Ruehl zipperback catcher's mitt. The glove is in very good shape, with a tag, and zipper in tact, although a bit of the lacing has been replaced. The stampings are very light, but I could make out the model number, which I think only corresponds to the Ruehl endorsement. It is one of my favorites because of the story.

I am a bit embarassed to say, but, unbeknownst to me, my Mother did negotiate the price of the glove down from $25 to $21.
burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Best "Deal" pn a glove

Postby GloveGypsy » July 30th, 2007, 1:26 pm

Walked into a PIAS and looked in the used glove bin. Sure enough, the distinctive cross-x-lacing of the top of the web on an a2000 could be seen.

I picked it out and was pleased to see it was and excellent condition "L" model (made in the U.S.A. with straplock wrist) in peanut butter color.

Price tag was $20. Manager said was that price was firm.

Paid the $20 and left quietly with the glove.
Last edited by GloveGypsy on July 30th, 2007, 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Two Rescue Stories: Buried in an Ant Bed: Found in a Trunk

Postby Cowboy7130 » July 30th, 2007, 7:04 pm

They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Perhaps, accordingly, value is in the heart of the owner.

When I was coaching several years ago I was helping to clean out a storage shed behind the girls' softball field. We stored football dummies in there, too, during the season, since it was close to our practice field. That summer, we had huge problem with fire ants all over our athletics fields, but it was NOTHING compared to what I found beneath some rotting old batting cage netting. There was a fire ant mound about the size of a watermelon in one corner, and I was ready to call the exterminator when I noticed some leather laced rivets peeking out of one corner of the anthill. Well, I carefully fished out a Rawlings OR 520 Dale Murphy endorsed glove, and after enthusiastically whacking it against the side of the building to dislodge any ants who were residing in the glove, I inspected it a little more carefully. Miraculously, the leather was in very good shape, although very dry, and very faded, as if the glove had resided in the back of someone's pickup truck for months and months in the West Texas summer sun. And the lacings were intact, the cloth labels were pristine ... and then I saw our head cheerleader's name in very faded ink on the thumb, just underneath her dad's name. Well, this glove had been living in this shed for a couple of years, at least, so I knew the cheerleader had a new glove. I tried to return it to her when school started in the fall, but she had forgotten all about it. She told me she had used it in pee-wee softball. She told me to keep it, but I told her to check with her dad. Well, her dad had bought himself several new softball gloves since then, and didn't want the glove, either. So I did keep it, on top of my locker in the fieldhouse. I hadn't even tried it on yet!

The following baseball season, the first day of practice, I'm the jv coach, and I forgot my favorite Wilson George Brett glove. Dang it ... well, there is that old glove on top of my locker, might as well try it ... it fit my hand beautifully, the inside was smooth and supple, and though the leather was dry, it was not stiff at all. I took it home after playing catch with it that day, after trying to teach freshmen how to throw and catch. I used saddle soap and a toothbrush and cleaned it up. The next day, I used some leather lotion that my wife had bought to use on a leather coat. The glove gleamed like new, though still faded. Since then I have replaced several loose laces, cleaned and vaselined it, and it is now my favorite glove. The leather still looks faded, almost a light tan color similar to the modern Gold Glove models, though the tags look as bright as ever.

I know that my Rawlings OR520 Dale Murphy glove is not a collectible type glove. But ol' Dale was my favorite player in the 80's, and this glove just fits me perfectly! I feel like I rescued it! No, I didn't steal it, or buy it, but I am glad I tried to do the right thing and give it back first. So far, it is my favorite piece of vintage leather.

About 10 years ago my favorite uncle passed away, and left me as executor of his estate and the beneficiary of his will. He was an old bachelor, and had no children of his own, though I think he may have thought of me as a son he didn't have to clothe and feed! :wink:

Well, this old bachelor uncle of mine had been a college football player in the late 1950's, but as it turns out, as I went through several rooms of closets and trunks, I discovered that he had played 'town ball,' too! I found an old wool uniform in dark red with cream colored raglan sleeves, with felt letters sewn on the front to represent the sponsor of the team. Underneath it I found two ball gloves from the 1930's. One was virtually disintegrating as I picked it up. Now that I know what I was looking at, it was a split-finger, 1" web, with a button back. The other was a Hurricane glove, in a kind of peachy-orange color, and it was in pretty good shape. I had never heard of Hurricane gloves at the time. I remember thinking that it was pretty small, but then again, most gloves of that era are small compared to the modern fielder's gloves. I thought they both were pretty cool, so I put both gloves and the uniform back in the trunk and carried them to my dad. My dad had been pretty broken up about losing his kid brother to cancer, so he wanted to keep most of the stuff there at his house, and not let me take it home. Sentimental reasons, obviously. But now that I know so much more about vintage gloves, I want to go out and dig through the old trunk again and find out more about those two gloves. And, if they are worth photographing, I can even post pics, now. I am no longer a low-tech redneck! :lol:
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Next

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion