Your favorite glove?

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Your favorite glove?

Postby glove-works » July 23rd, 2007, 11:47 pm

This may have been posted before, but I am curious to learn from fellow forum members........."what glove from your collection is your favorite"?

Post a pic. if you can.
Glove-Works
Home of "the Works"
Glove Repair/Restoration & Sales
www.glove-works.com
glove-works
Gold Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » July 23rd, 2007, 11:59 pm

Man, Mike, that's like trying to pick your favorite child!

How about: Whichever one I just got done, cleaning, conditioning and relacing!
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby wareagle34 » July 24th, 2007, 1:19 am

THATS EASY FOR ME. MY FAVORITE IS MY RAWLINGS G900 BILLY BANCROFT PROFESSIONAL MODEL, WITH THE DOAK PATENT DATE NOV.21 1922. I FOUND IT ADVERTISED BY BILL DIEBOLD IN SCD IN 1995. BILL HAD IT LISTED AS AN UNKNOWN PLAYER LISTING. BILLY BANCROFT WAS A 2ND BASEMAN FOR THE BIRMINGHAM BARONS IN 1931, AND GOT THE GAME WINNING HIT OFF DIZZY DEAN IN THE 31 DIXIE SERIES PLAYED AT RICKWOOD FIELD. THIS WAS AND STILL IS THE MOST FAMOUS BASEBALL GAME PLAYED IN ALABAMA, AND IS STILL TALKED ABOUT AND CELEBRATED TODAY. BILLY NEVER MADE IT TO THE MAJORS, BUT WENT ON TO MANAGE IN THE MINORS AND COACH COLLEGE FOOTBALL AT HOWARD. HE WAS MY BOYS ADVISOR AT WOODLAWN HIGH SCHOOL IN BIRMINGHAM, AND HE COULD SWING A PADDLE. WHEN I GOT THE GLOVE, I LOOKED HIM UP IN THE PHONE BOOK AND CALLED HIM TO TELL HIM WHAT I HAD FOUND. MRS. BANCROFT SAID HE HAD PASSED AWAY SEVERAL MONTHS BEFORE, BUT SHE WOULD LOVE TO SEE THE GLOVE. SHE LIVED IN A RETIREMENT HOME, AND HAD SEVERAL BATS AND OLD BALLS WITH AUTOGRAPHS ON A SHELF. ON TOP OF HER TV UNDER A GLASS CASE WAS BILLY'S GAME GLOVE.IT WAS SO OLD AND DRIED OUT, THERE WAS NO DISTINGUISHING A MAKER OR MODEL, BUT IT WAS BY FAR THE MOST PRIZED POSSESION OF HIS PLAYING DAYS. I ONLY WISH THAT I COULD HAVE SHOWN HIM HIS RAWLINGS MODEL. MRS. BANCROFT SAID THAT SHE HAD NEVER SEEN ONE AND DIDN'T KNOW THAT THEY EXISTED. I WAS LATER FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO MEET BILLY BANCROFT JR. AND SHOW HIM THE GLOVE. HE SAID THAT HE HAD NEVER SEEN ONE EITHER.
IT IS MY FAVORITE GLOVE AND ALWAYS WILL BE.
DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANOTHER BILLY BANCROFT MODEL, AND HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF RAWLINGS PUTTING A MINOR LEAGUE PLAYER ENDORSEMENT ON ANY OTHER GLOVE?
ALSO IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A GREAT BASEBALL SITE, CHECK OUT RICKWOOD.COM

WAR EAGLE!
wareagle34
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby mittmutt » July 24th, 2007, 4:36 pm

I'll throw out my 1 1/2 cents worth. My favorite is still the one I've had and used since my teenage years, my Rawlings XPG6 Mickey Mantle personal model. I just don't know how you can improve on that glove. I used it, my 4 children used it (including my daughter) and now my three year old grandson is learning to catch with it. Not a bad investment since it was given to me by my future brother-in-law all those years ago.
mittmutt
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jwoody » July 24th, 2007, 5:46 pm

RAWLINGS 1953 PMM STAN MUSIAL.....
3fingerwoody
jwoody
Veteran Glove Poster

My favorite glove?

Postby Vindoggie » July 28th, 2007, 9:49 am

That's a no-brainer! I caught all my life, but I would have given it all up gladly for an infield position and an infielder's glove. Several years back I bought an Easton Redline Pro (11" RPS44, dark brown leather w/ darker chocolate laces)) thinking one of my boys would use it... They didn't like it- "Too stiff!" They didn't want to put in the time. So, I did. The glove broke in perfectly! I love it! I tried to buy another, same model, same year... Different glove, different leather. The proof came 2 years ago when I coached High School baseball & all the kids on the varsity squad had HOH's, A2000's, etc... But when they could, they slid their hands into my glove and said "Nice glove coach!" (I was an assistant, did't set the lineup) Funny thing though, when I bring it down the field some of the Prep league coaches (who are dad's or as I refer to them as, GUARDOGS!) will always comment "Isn't that glove too small for an adult?" to which I reply "Its a second baseman's glove" They always follow with "They make gloves for second baseman?" "Yes they do.... COACH!"- V
To hell with the expression "You don't really know a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes" How about- "... until you've caught nine innings using his mitt!" A bit more accurate, don't you think?
Vindoggie
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby JC » July 28th, 2007, 10:51 pm

My favorite is my PRO12TC, made in USA glove, all Horween leather, including the lining.

Vindoggie- I am always amazed at how little some "baseball guys" know about gloves.

I play in an over 40 league, and most of the guys are good players, but many use crappy gloves. We have a 3rd baseman in our league playing baseball with a 14 inch glove. Yikes!

I have sold a few gloves to teammates who have never owned a top-line glove. Once they put their hand in a real glove, they never go back.
JC
Veteran Glove Poster

D&M G-92 Chuck Klein Endorsed

Postby GloveGypsy » July 28th, 2007, 11:54 pm

Last edited by GloveGypsy on July 29th, 2007, 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Nokona Pro

Postby GloveGypsy » July 28th, 2007, 11:59 pm

GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion