Changing the web on a Rawlings glove?

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Changing the web on a Rawlings glove?

Postby golfswing » July 23rd, 2007, 12:25 pm

Is it possible to replace a modified trap web on a Rawlings glove with a pro I or pro H web? Both gloves are 11 1/2 inch models. Are the gloves basically the same with just different webs or is the structure of the glove specific to the type of web? I realize that the lace holes are going to be off but can you make it work? Curious if anyone has ever tried this? Thanks.
golfswing
Veteran Glove Poster

Yes ...

Postby Cowboy7130 » July 23rd, 2007, 1:12 pm

I have seen some gloves on ebay that were modified as you describe them. I think the basic requirement is that the gloves be the same size with similar anchor points on the web and on the crotch of pocket area.
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Postby space50 » July 24th, 2007, 3:03 am

That would be a question for Kenny Jenkins. He's the best Rawlings glove repairman around.
space50
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby GloveDoctor » July 31st, 2007, 11:15 am

I am pretty sure it is possible. Converting from a modified trap web is much easier than converting to one, as you can imagine by the hole pattern in the web.

It can be done, with a little creativity. Actually, you would probably end up with a much stiffer, fortified web since you would be weaving the lace through the unused holes (you don't want to leave those holes unlaced!). I'm saying all this without having ever relaced that situation before. I have converted a basket web to an I web before (the Rawlings DJ2 glove). Worked out nice.
GloveDoctor
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion