Japanese Baseball Gloves (Splitfingers)

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Japanese Baseball Gloves (Splitfingers)

Postby drasher81 » July 16th, 2007, 8:39 pm

I was wondering if anyone has any experience dealing with vintage Japanese items that I am sure are floating around out there. I have been looking to pick some of these items up for my personal collection but cant seem to stumble onto anything. If anyone one has any information on them I would hear any info out there and if anyone has any in there collection I would love to see some pics.
drasher81

Postby stockbuddy » July 16th, 2007, 8:56 pm

Hi drasher,

I got a very interesting one that says Trade Mark Royal Sporting Goods and on the button it says Royal Manufacturing, Made in Japan. It is like a triple flap grommetless web which has a king patent style lace running around the piping. It is very different. I don't know how to post the pic on the forum, so if you want to give me your email address I will round up pics of it for you and you could try posting pics.

Dave
stockbuddy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » July 16th, 2007, 10:11 pm

Speaking of Japanese gloves...

Not a split-finger, but I have a Mizuno glove that is the oldest I've come across. It looks to be from the late 50's to early 60's timeframe. So far I've been able to find zero information about it. It is a nice, quality glove, much nicer than the typical imported gloves from the era.

Does anyone have any information or history of the early Mizuno gloves?
BretMan

Found Old Mizuno

Postby softball66 » July 17th, 2007, 8:34 am

I found a buckleback Mizuno catchers mitt, made in Japan, at an antique store in Plano, Tex. in the early 1990s. Sold it to a collector in California but wish I'd kept it now.
I think maybe Mizuno started making some baseball equipment just about the time the Major League All Stars began visiting the country in the 1930s. I have a shot of Lefty Grove and Mickey Cochrane holding giant glove and mitt made in Japan to commemorate their visit.
softball66

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion