New guy on board!

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

New guy on board!

Postby Vindoggie » July 11th, 2007, 1:42 pm

Hey! What can I say? I'm a year past the half-a-hundred mark & I still bring my glove to Fenway! (or any other ballpark) I'm not a big time collector, but my wife will tell you I have way too many baseball gloves. With three boys I'm figuring... 4 each, 7 for me... one lefty for a southpaw guest... Twenty ought to do it! Hey- I have a mound/plate (60'6") in the back yard just in case somebody shows up & wants to throw a strike. (I have watched too many grown men struggle!) I know Valz & Wake already. Its nice to meet the rest of you. I have a 3,500 word story that might be right for the site. How can I post a WORD doc? - V

A rule of thumb: Always have as many gloves as the wife has shoes. It'll help keep you both in line!
And for you single guys- Once you turn 40, simply multiply your age X .50 to determine the youngest girl/woman you can go camping with! :lol:
To hell with the expression "You don't really know a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes" How about- "... until you've caught nine innings using his mitt!" A bit more accurate, don't you think?
Vindoggie
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » July 11th, 2007, 1:59 pm

Hello and Welcome aboard!

You wouldn't be able to attach a document but you could copy and paste it into a post if you want - it might have to be broken up into a couple separate posts but I'm not positive.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby mittmutt » July 11th, 2007, 4:38 pm

Hey Vidoggie, welcome aboard. Your cruise director Bret will help take care of all your needs. I'm glad my wife didn't see your post cause I'm not selling half my gloves to get to her shoe count. Also, the only place more important to take a glove than the ballgame would be in your coffin when you die because if there isn't baseball in heaven, then I'm not going.
mittmutt
Veteran Glove Poster

Women & Shoes...

Postby Vindoggie » July 11th, 2007, 10:04 pm

Hey Mitt!
Too bad about the wife... I'm thinking that you can get some good use (mileage) out of patten leather pumps- the ones with the 3" stilletto heels. The secret, I've been told, is get em' to keep em' on at the appropriate times. Less bottom wear & ultimately they provide you with more bang for your shoe-buck! I say, "let the wife catch up to your glove count!" :twisted:

As far as baseball in heaven... Who would win- the baseball gods or the baseball demons? I'm thinking Ty Cobb took the big slide... And who is the starting rightfielder in heaven? Roberto Clemente I'm sure. But, where does that leave Tony C.?

:idea: Out there: Lets put together an all star game. Heaven vs. Hell! Any ideas on a starting nine? Who's in the bullpen? Managers?
Last edited by Vindoggie on July 12th, 2007, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To hell with the expression "You don't really know a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes" How about- "... until you've caught nine innings using his mitt!" A bit more accurate, don't you think?
Vindoggie
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » July 11th, 2007, 11:30 pm

Heaven wins...no contest.

After all, those guys wrote the book when it comes to baseball. You know, the one that starts out...

In the big inning... :D
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Sorry, no ...

Postby Cowboy7130 » July 12th, 2007, 12:02 am

Hell wins ... the umpires are on the team! :twisted:

(apologies to my umpire friends on the forum here... it's just understood among us coaches that umpires are part of the evil empire :lol: )
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

The American League in Heaven Starting Outfield ...

Postby Cowboy7130 » July 12th, 2007, 12:20 am

Left - Ted Williams
Center - Joe DiMaggio
Right - Babe Ruth

Reserves - Mickey Mantle, Cool Papa Bell (assigned to American League based on KC affiliation, and Chicago American Giants)
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » July 12th, 2007, 1:26 am

Ha! Good one Cowboy! And I'm even one of the umpires on this board!

Your post jogged my memory. "We have all the umpires" is the punchline of an old joke I heard years ago about a baseball game being played between Heaven and Hell.
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Heaven vs. Hell?

Postby Vindoggie » July 12th, 2007, 9:16 am

1B- Gehrig
2B- Jackie Robinson/Rogers Hornsby
SS- Honus Wagner
3B- Eddie Mathews
LF- Ted Williams
CF- Joey D
RF- Roberto Clemente
C- Therman Munson
RHP- Cy Young/Walter Johnson
LHP- Babe Ruth/Warren Spahn/Whitey Ford
Closer- Dick Radatz/Rollie Fingers
PH- Tony C./Maris
Manager- Casey Stengel
Vindoggie
Rookie Glove Poster

Is there baseball in Heaven?

Postby Vindoggie » July 12th, 2007, 5:55 pm

Over the years a pitcher & catcher got very close. Close enough infact, that they made a pact that the one who died first would give the other some sort of sign as to whether or not there was baseball in Heaven...
The catcher died first and the pitcher missed his close friend dearly. Then one day many years later, while walking around the old ballpark, he heard a voice... It sounded like his old battery mate. "Is that you John?" he asked. "Its me" John replied. "Well, is there baseball in Heaven?" "Yes there is" John answered. "But why did you wait until now to tell me?" the pitcher asked. " Because you're starting tomorrow night!"
Vindoggie
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion