For the glove addict...Glove-Anon

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Help!

Postby softball66 » July 9th, 2007, 6:25 pm

Well, you know what they say about an expert: "A drip under pressure."
Best thing we've got now is that glovers like all of you all are taking up the glove standard and adding to our knowlege and sharing your love and knowledge. Back in the early 90s one of the premier east coast antique dealers said that the glove guys were the nicest he had to work with. That says a lot about our hobby and something to keep in mind when working with each other and those seeking knowledge.
How many of you remember the old glove repairmen and places like Charlie Rose Baseball and Lee Chilton in California going far back? I harkened back to these glove people because one of our original guys and great friend, Navato's John Baggerly, just sent me a Charlie Rose T-Shirt and told me Charlie has passed away.
By the way, I'm nearing ending the line on entering glove catalogs. I hope to have the new glove catalog source book out end of this months
You glovers keep up the charge and take care of one another!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby spedrunr » July 10th, 2007, 2:19 am

who else is hoping the mail man doesn't ring the doorbell when your wife is home w/another glove to sign for? (just leave it behind the gate or leave me a note in the mail box will ya?!)

anybody ever steer with their knees and cruise control so you can slap a ball into your favorite glove while driving? :oops:
spedrunr

Actually

Postby glove-works » July 10th, 2007, 8:55 am

My wife is pretty understanding, and will both drop off and pick up packages for me at the PO regularly.

The driving with the knee thing.......yup!
Glove-Works
Home of "the Works"
Glove Repair/Restoration & Sales
www.glove-works.com
glove-works
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Bleacher Bum » July 11th, 2007, 8:12 am

Not to get political, but you are really an addict if you base your presidential vote on someone's first name...

Mitt Romney for President?? I don't know...
Bleacher Bum
Rookie Glove Poster

glove repairing 15-20 years ago.

Postby jackwhale » July 13th, 2007, 2:52 pm

softball66: The mention of Lee Chilton brought back memories. He was the 'Gloveman' in Fremont, CA. He spent a lot of time working with kids in the south bay. I enjoyed shooting the breeze with him.

Lee repaired my son's catchers mitts regularly. I also bought a Nokona SBM-100, a 14" first base mitt. It was really floppy but he did his magic and made it much easier to pick throws out of the dirt.
jackwhale
Veteran Glove Poster

good old memories

Postby softball66 » July 13th, 2007, 6:03 pm

Glove guy Jay Feldman did the story on Lee in SI way back when. Haven't heard much out of or about him (Lee) in years. Charlie Rose repair shop dates back much earlier. Charlie had a widely respected sporting goods business in the bay area.
You all will be interested to know that Nocona's SBM100 basemitt was designed originally for Rod Carew by Nocona's glove designer Jay Rawlings when Nocona was doing some of MacGregor's glove work. Rod wanted a big mitt when he got to first. Rawlings nicknamed it his "salmon net."
softball66

Postby jackwhale » July 13th, 2007, 6:33 pm

This is great news. Rod Carew puts my Nacona in a better league. It is a huge mitt and worked well for me. Though its not as large as Barry Bonds' outfield glove. I noticed his dragging on the ground out there in left field.

In your post the designer is named 'Rawlings' who worked for MacGregor and Nacona was making their gloves.. . it IS a small world.
jackwhale
Veteran Glove Poster

Jay Rawlings

Postby softball66 » July 14th, 2007, 10:42 am

Jay, who passed away about 10 years ago, was a real character and more of a football equipment designer, being an old coach. Good friends with Rollie Latina when he was working for Rawlings (where else would you work? Don't think he was family related and I believe, came out of Temple, Texas). He told me about the Spalding warehouse being right across from the Rawlings factory in the 60s-70s (in Ava Mo.) and they'd just take the Rawlings ' made Spalding gloves right across the street to be shipped from the Spalding warehouse. He came to Nocona to work about 1975 or '76. One of his first glove designs was the BM76 (sort of a commemorative salute to bicentennial in 1976) and it was an improved version of the older BMAC, BPROS.
Jay was at Nocona, never worked directly for MacGregor, when he produced the mitt for Carew. And, it's turned out to be a great mitt for softball 1b or catcher.
softball66

MacG Rod Carew

Postby jackwhale » July 14th, 2007, 1:31 pm

Has a Macgregor Rod Carew model ever come up on the vintage market? I'd certainly like to see one.

My impression of my Nacona was that it was not a great 1B mitt until Lee stiffened the circumference. Of course if it worked for Mr Carew......
jackwhale
Veteran Glove Poster

MacGregor Carew

Postby glove-works » July 14th, 2007, 3:06 pm

Here's the only USA made Carew endorsed glove I have ever seen.. It's an SAS Rod Carew personal model. 11.5", must have been from his 2B playing day's.

Glove-Works
Home of "the Works"
www.glove-works.com
glove-works
Gold Glove Poster

Rod Carew

Postby jackwhale » July 15th, 2007, 4:02 pm

From second base with the smallest glove to first base with the largest glove. Your pictures are wonderful--can almost feel that leather.
jackwhale
Veteran Glove Poster

Glove Addict

Postby Bravosin99 » July 16th, 2007, 12:56 pm

As I read through these lists I try to tell myself no that is not you, but it is me and I am guilty of about 90% of all glove addict symptoms :oops: ....I guess that is another symptom of being an addict is being in denial of your problem. :lol:

I also have another one to add to any of the lists that I don't think has been mentioned....I tend to dream about gloves lol....If that isn't a sure sign of an addict I don't know what is....To bad most of the dreams don't come true because if so we would have one amazing collection lol :D .

I also think waking up at 4a.m. to drive a few hours away to go look for leathers is probably also another sure sign I have a problem lol.
Sincerly
Glove Addict -Josh
Bravosin99
Gold Glove Poster

How many gloves in your collection

Postby glove-works » July 19th, 2007, 5:31 pm

This will assist us in determining the level of addiction we are dealing with.

Where's the category for 1,000+ gloves?

Oops, Gotta go, UPS is here....
Glove-Works
Home of "the Works"
www.glove-works.com
glove-works
Gold Glove Poster

Postby wareagle34 » July 20th, 2007, 8:00 pm

I 'LL TELL YOU HOW BAD IT CAN GET. WAIT TILL YOU GO TO THE TATTOO PARLOR LOOKING FOR THEIR STOCK PICTURES OF BASEBALL GLOVES. GUESS WHAT, THEY DON'T HAVE ANY, SO BRING YOUR OWN.

MINES "THE LUCKY DOG KIND"

MY WIFE THOUGHT THE DOG WAS CUTE, AND I TOLD HER I WAS A LUCKY DOG FOR FINDING HER!
SHE BOUGHT IT.

WAR EAGLE!
wareagle34
Rookie Glove Poster

Tattoo

Postby glove-works » July 20th, 2007, 9:22 pm

Now that's really something.

So, who in the forum received packages from UPS, Fed Ex, DHL, etc?

Anyone hitting those yard sales, flea markets, estate auctions, etc. Sat am?
Glove-Works
Home of "the Works"
www.glove-works.com
glove-works
Gold Glove Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion