Ken Wel buckle back

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Ken Wel buckle back

Postby mittmutt » July 5th, 2007, 8:18 pm

I have an old beater that I'm cleaning and some letters are starting to show. It is a Ken Wel buckle back and I believe the model number is 38. It says worlds champions in a circle near the thumb [all lettering is very faded] and the first letters in the last name appear to be De??? Is there any help out there? Was Paul Dean a Ken Wel signer? Thanks very much for any info.
mittmutt
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » July 5th, 2007, 10:00 pm

The "Vintage Baseball Glove Catalog Source book" shows Paul "Daffy" Dean as an endorser of a model number 562 glove in the 1938 Ken-Wel catalog.

There are quite a few gaps in the old catalog data from Ken-Wel. The only years listed are 1922, 1928, 1931, 1932, 1934 and 1938. Their fielder's gloves seem to all carry model numbers based on a three-digit code, all beginning with the digit "5", such as "560" or "545". A few would carry a letter to indicate the type of leather or color", for instance, "B" for "black", or possibly the word "PRO" or "PM" to indicate a "pro model".
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby stockbuddy » July 5th, 2007, 10:11 pm

Hi Mittmutt, I have a model 562 signed by Paul Dean. It looks to be a Ken-Wel in glove design and it does show in 1938 that Paul Dean endorsed a Ken-Wel glove in the 2004 resource guide. Mine has a private label on the wrist strap and is not a buckle back. Cool find if you got a Daffy Dean glove.

Dave
stockbuddy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby mittmutt » July 5th, 2007, 10:27 pm

Thanks gentlemen for your reply's. I'm positive it's a ken wel and I'm pretty sure it only has the 2 numbers. It's in pretty rough shape but I'm going to keep scrubbing and hopefully I'll be able to know for sure. I'll post again if I can clean it up well enough.

Also, thanks Joe for another great newsletter. I sure hope that these questionable sellers wise up and quit ruining a great hobby
mittmutt
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mittmutt » July 13th, 2007, 1:23 am

I sacrubbed til my fingernail polish came off but the results are in. It is a Ken Wel model 538 and is endorsed by Paul Dean [Daffy]. It's still a beater and I'm not sure it's worth the money for the time it took but I'm glad I stuck with it. It is so awsome to have a glove talk to you while you are working on it. Now it becomesa part of the fold while I move on to my next prodigal child. Three cheers to fast orange and lanolin.
mittmutt
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion