What do you use when you play ball?

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Postby GloveDoctor » July 31st, 2007, 11:20 am

I always have a heavy bag because I am a "Utility guy." I mostly play 3rd base, so I have my 12" Rawlings PROCGB27 (a custom Pro Preferred I stole on Ebay for $120). When I play 1st Base, I use my Rawlings PRODCT - which I also used when I played softball. For the OF, it's my 12 3/4" Rawlings "Baseball Express" Trapeze. When I pitch.......
GloveDoctor
Rookie Glove Poster

Senior Usage

Postby softball66 » July 31st, 2007, 4:13 pm

I've been playing senior softball for over a decade and the bigger/longer the glove the better. Our senior jokes is: "we can still run and we can still bend over. We can't do both at the same time. Amen!
My trusty Nokona AMG400K (all Kangaroo) has been my standby for last 7 years. Won three national tournament team defensive awards with it. 14" tall; that's all.
For vintage wear it's my Nokona "Riverboat Smith" all black, white grommets, that was born in my hand (perfect fit). Play it like a Riverboat Gambler. I've caught with just about all of my playable collectible gloves and all of them are usually a "Hoot." Really like the rolled-lace web gloves that Don Drove made for me.
When I first started slow pitch softball in Dallas in the early 1970s, I bought (and thought it was expensive) a Brooks Robinson XFG17 Rawlings and it stood me well over the next decade. I got Brooks to sign it for me.
A lot depends, on what seems to feel right and what feels good and what you get used to. My favorite glove, I tell everyone, is the one that makes the catch!!!!
When guy like Noah Liberman (author of "Glove Affairs") and others visit, I have them try out some of my vintage gloves in a game of catch.
And sorry, I just missed glovecrazy when he was here. He would have burned me out.
:P
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Previous

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion