JC Higgins Youth Model Mitt

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

JC Higgins Youth Model Mitt

Postby jdenny14 » February 26th, 2024, 2:15 pm

Higgins mitt front.jpeg
Higgins mitt front.jpeg (30.63 KiB) Viewed 343 times
Hi. I recently found an early 20th c. J.C. Higgins Youth Model catchers(?) mitt (8.5" x 8.5"). I've got a couple questions maybe someone could help me find answers to.
1. The stamping clearly reads "Youth Model", but I've not seen any others online with that wording. I know it's a Sears catalog product, but trying to figure out a relative time frame for this thing.
2. I've seen other mitts with similar buckle back straps, but not with the "waffle" pattern like this one has.
3. Was "shoelace" style lacing original to the mitt, or is that a repair done sometime after the original purchase?
4. Is it right to ID this as a catcher's mitt, or could it have been a fielders mitt (vs a glove)?
5. Any thoughts on relative value?

I'm attaching a couple photos so if anyone can help me with some info or even sources to go hunting through, I'm most appreciative.
Attachments
Higgins mitt stamp.jpeg
Higgins mitt stamp.jpeg (29.96 KiB) Viewed 343 times
Higgins mitt lacing.jpeg
Higgins mitt lacing.jpeg (31.84 KiB) Viewed 343 times
Higgins mitt back.jpeg
Higgins mitt back.jpeg (38.16 KiB) Viewed 343 times
jdenny14
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: JC Higgins Youth Model Mitt

Postby mikesglove » February 27th, 2024, 1:55 pm

It looks to be 1920-30's. It's definitely a catchers mitt and not a fielders mitt. The original shoe lace is common on youth mitts. They were made cheaply. Youth equipment is not very collectible. The condition is poor so you would be lucky to get $20 for it.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion