1910-15 American News Co. Mitts

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

1910-15 American News Co. Mitts

Postby mikesglove » July 22nd, 2023, 4:18 pm

American News Co. was not a publisher but a distributor of newspapers and periodicals. After the Civil War they grew to become a massive operation with hundreds of wholesale outlets. Their headquarters were in New York City.

Besides Newspapers and periodicals, they distributed stationers supplies, sundries, novelties, toys and eventually sporting goods. They developed many trademarks for the products they carried.

The A.N.C. logo was adopted in 1900 in the form of a shamrock.

American News Co. published an ad in 1913 depicting the various sporting goods products they distributed, such as Spalding, D&M, Reach and Goldsmith.

American News Co. Developed a very cool crest logo featuring the ANC Shamrock and the "Standard" trademark for their sporting goods.

The Mitt below was made by Goldsmith. It was found at http://www.antiqueathlete.com
The mitt looks to be pretty high end and in fantastic condition.

Another example was from JD's site, http://www.baseballglovecollector.com in the "other mfg." section of the gallery.
The Jan. 28, 1908 patent stamp is for the webbing attachment Goldsmith used. A beautiful near mint example.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: 1910-15 American News Co. Mitts

Postby vintagebrett » July 22nd, 2023, 4:34 pm

Great timing Mike! That solves a mystery for me - I’ll have white/brown mitt for sale in my booth next week
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Re: 1910-15 American News Co. Mitts

Postby mikesglove » July 22nd, 2023, 5:45 pm

Great. Could you post a photo here after the dust settles? Also, I have a Connecticut glove/mitt write up soon. You may already know about it but hope you will be surprised.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion