JC Higgins Catchers mitt help question...

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

JC Higgins Catchers mitt help question...

Postby badderbatter » June 23rd, 2007, 11:49 am

Cleaned up a catchers mitt a little and it looks like the numbers are LM40. It Might be HR40 and I was wondering if anyone might shed a little light, thanx for reading.
Last edited by badderbatter on July 13th, 2007, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badderbatter

Postby BretMan » June 23rd, 2007, 1:56 pm

That model number has me stumped.

Even though Sears distributed the J.C. Higgins gloves for over 50 years, from the early 1900's until 1960 when they switched to the "Ted Williams" brand gloves, the catalog data available to collectors is somewhat spotty.

For that 50-plus year span, catalog data is available for only about a dozen different years. Sometimes that can be enough to piece-together a rough history of the glove. But the model number you provided doesn't jibe with the models listed in the catalogs.

From what I can find, the J.C. Higgins gloves followed a few basic model numbering patterns.

From the early 1900's to about 1920, all gloves has a six-digit code, all of which were in the format of the number "6", followed by a letter, then a four didgit number beginning with "69". A typical model number might appear as "6V6920" or "6D6915".

In the 1920's this changed slightly. the last four digits of the model number then began with "16". A 20's-era glove would have a model number like "6E1636" or "6K1634".

1908 is the only year listed where the letter "H" appeared as part of the model numbers and 1923 the only year with an "L" in the numbers. But those models all followed the six-digit format described above.

In the 1930's the model numbers switched to a four-digit code, with the first two digits always being "16" (such as, "1634"). Essentially, they simply dropped the first two characters from the éarlier mdels. This four-digit code seems to have been the format used throughout the rest of the J.C. Higgins run up until 1960. This four-digit code was retained up through the run of "Ted Williams" branded gloves until about 1980.

None of which directly answers your question about an "LM40" or "HR40" model number! Perhaps knowing what type of numbers to look for will help discern the actual model number.

Until then, I would have to say that you either have a glove with the model number worn by the years, or possibly a glove bearing a model number that does not appear in the catalog data.

If you can post a picture, most of the guys here would be able to pin-down an approximate date based solely on the design of the glove.

Hope that helps!
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby badderbatter » June 23rd, 2007, 5:11 pm

After further cleaning and inspection revealed silver in some and not all of the "Bubbles Hargrave" TRADE MARK GENUINE COWHIDE
HIGH QUALITY JC HIGGINS SPORTING GOODS DEEP GREASED POCKET .
I would almost swear it is or was 40 but i have changed light angles and I am getting tunnel vision. I stopped cleaning when I saw the numbers appear. I think I will try something non-abrasive. Ill be happy to send you some pics in an email if you want . Thanks for the info and I think eagle one leather cleaner or something other than easton ball glove conditioner as it seems to be about the same viscosity as vasoline. Thanx Mitt!
badderbatter

Postby badderbatter » June 23rd, 2007, 5:30 pm

Brett , last two digits are either 40 or MO plain as day to me, but I could be wrong because I am not sure what to look for. Thanx for the Mitt info and I will keep looking. I am in the proscess of getting a better camera. I will be more than happy to show you the pic's and you can post them for me (im still in the 19th century) if you want to for everyone else!
tk
badderbatter

My Bubbles Hargrave

Postby softball66 » June 23rd, 2007, 7:41 pm

My J. C. Higgins Bubbles Hargrave catchers mitt has the model number 1640 on it. Maybe this will help clear the number up. :P
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion