New to the group.

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

New to the group.

Postby KC30 » April 12th, 2018, 9:18 am

Hello, I have been reading the forum for a little while now trying to learn more about my new hobby. While cleaning our our attic this past winter I came across two Wilson A2000 XLC gloves that I had used many years ago and decided to try and clean them up. This lead to researching the proper methods of cleaning, conditioning, dying, sealing and lacing and I became hooked with the process. Since then I have been fortunate enough to have purchased (3) Sears & Roebuck (J.C. Higgins?) Ted Williams Model gloves to work on. The model numbers are 16182, 16178 & 16166. Along with these three I have also been able to purchase a few Wilson A2000 XL, XLC made in the USA gloves and a Wilson A2802 first base glove made in the USA. These gloves hands down cannot compare to what I have seen with the modern day gloves. Their quality of leather and craftsmanship is by far superior. A friend of mine asked me to clean, condition and re-lace his son's Wilson A2K Dustin Pedroia model glove and as I got into it I was surprised by the quality of the products used today compared to the older gloves, they are night and day.
When I started this comment my intent was to find out more information, if possible, on the Ted Williams models listed (16182, 16178 & 16166). I have read many articles but have yet to find the information I am looking for, the year that they were produced / sold would be great. Value is nice to know but these items are more for myself then to sell, it is just a curiosity of mine to know as much about the gloves I am working with to tell their story to other people who may ask about them when they visit our home. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Short Video of the three gloves on youtube, link below.

https://youtu.be/uXkMDjK9srU
KC30
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: New to the group.

Postby mikesglove » April 12th, 2018, 12:08 pm

Nice job on the gloves. Here is a forum link for more info.http://www.vintagebaseballgloveforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=963
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: New to the group.

Postby KC30 » April 13th, 2018, 12:23 am

Thank you Mike, good information in the thread
KC30
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion