Patent Patter

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Re: Patent Patter

Postby mikesglove » November 9th, 2023, 1:07 pm

mikesglove wrote:I found this while perusing a Spalding 1906 catalog. I initially thought it was a Ted Kennedy full round mitt since there were business transactions between Kennedy and Spalding in the past. As luck would have it, there was some patent info above the catalog illustration. I'll give the gang a couple minutes to come up with a guess, Kennedy or what mysterious inventor? Scroll down for the answer. The mitt has lacing only at the bottom and sides because the top of the mitt tapers way down, hence the name "Scoop Model" kind of like a soft shovel, hah!

I wonder if this is the Spalding Scoop model? It was part of the Gary Cypress exhibit at the Reagan Library.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » December 2nd, 2023, 3:29 pm

In 1908 Burt Rogers applied for a patent for the so called "Pita Pocket" glove. Rogers intended a flap of leather attached loosely to the face of a fielders glove (cross section of fig. 3). So said glove could function as a catchers mitt if needed. This flap of leather was to be attached at the heel and up the pinky and thumb with sewing or lacing and left loose up to the fingertips where each finger and thumb had a point of attachment. The reasoning was to leave the fingers with some room for movement and flexibility. There was some mention also of the attachments being manufactured so the leather flap could be removed and replaced if needed.
The glove below has a similar look but the fingertip attachment points seem to be crimped metal grommets.
This one is described as being either a Ted Kennedy mitt or a Rawlings. It has many characteristics of the earlier Ted Kennedy full round glove but my opinion is that it is neither a Kennedy or Rawlings but possibly a Victor. My opinion is based on the lack of a laced wrist opening and the buckle strap design.

It is interesting to note that Victor applied for two patents in 1908. One was the patent above that was approved in 1911 and the other patent below that was approved a year later in 1912.

This 1912 patent was vastly different from the 1911 Victor pita pocket patent. In a nutshell, the 1912 Victor patent was for a glove put into an envelop of leather. The 1909 Victor catalog shows the newly designed glove/mitt. Note that the illustration shows the glove/mitt as a patent pending. It took almost four years for the patent to be approved from 1908 to 1912. Most manufacturers would release a glove early as a patent pending model to gain some traction in sales.
Here's an example.

The 1912 patent and the example above harkens back to the Ted Gunson mitt of the 1880's. Gunson started with a glove, added padding and a wire frame and encased it all in a leather envelop.
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » February 25th, 2024, 1:26 pm

mikesglove wrote:
mikesglove wrote:I found this while perusing a Spalding 1906 catalog. I initially thought it was a Ted Kennedy full round mitt since there were business transactions between Kennedy and Spalding in the past. As luck would have it, there was some patent info above the catalog illustration. I'll give the gang a couple minutes to come up with a guess, Kennedy or what mysterious inventor? Scroll down for the answer. The mitt has lacing only at the bottom and sides because the top of the mitt tapers way down, hence the name "Scoop Model" kind of like a soft shovel, hah!

I wonder if this is the Spalding Scoop model? It was part of the Gary Cypress exhibit at the Reagan Library.

after two years(1906-07) the Model S was radically redesigned in 1908. A web was added and the mitt was touted as an overgrown first base mitt. The model S was gone from the Spalding catalog by 1909.
mikesglove

Previous

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion