Welcome to the Vintage Baseball Glove Forum!

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Re: Welcome to the Vintage Baseball Glove Forum!

Postby vintagebrett » August 30th, 2010, 7:49 pm

Welcome! That sounds like a fun way to collect (one per manufacturer). The B2F DiMaggio isn't too rare but is popular because of it's odd appearance and the DiMaggio name. In very good condition, they usually sell between 100 to 150.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby pmgoggins » July 8th, 2011, 9:52 pm

I'm looking for a 1960-1961 Spalding trapeze "Whitey Ford"............does anyone have any suggestions?

right handed!
pmgoggins
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby okdoak » July 9th, 2011, 10:26 pm

Checking ebay regularly is probably your best bet. I picked up a decent one (well broken in, with a marker name on the thumb...definitely not NM) there years ago. It's the 1961-62 Personal Model 42-103, which was their top of the line 6 finger. I think it's the clone of Rawlings' Musial TG12. I've seen a lot more TG12's in the meantime, but few of the Spalding Ford PM's. But you never know. Might be one listed tomorrow. Good luck!
okdoak
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Markyt83 » February 21st, 2012, 10:01 am

Hello All,
I've been stalking the forum for a while, but finally decided to join. I'm new to things, so hopefully I won't ask too many rookie questions. I'm Mark, and am an avid baseball fan, and now that I finally bought a house, have room to dedicate to all things vintage baseball (much to the thrill of my girlfriend).
Thanks again for this forum, and for any future help/guesses :)

-Mark
Markyt83
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby okdoak » February 22nd, 2012, 3:04 am

Hi Mark, and Welcome! If you have any questions, ask away. I think you'll find that we love to talk about vintage gloves. :)
okdoak

Postby stockbuddy » February 26th, 2012, 4:33 pm

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the glove forum and to any other newbie glovers that have found their way to the thread. As OkDoak mentioned the people on the thread are open to questions and helpful to assist. Good luck in finding those old gloves.

Dave
stockbuddy

Postby feranger » April 26th, 2012, 9:39 pm

I was wondering if anyone had any information about the gloves sold by the Howard Bingham Hardware Company out of Cleveland, Ohio. They sold signature gloves by Gene DeSautels, Virgil Davis and Paul Gillespie. Hardly household names. I have a page from their catalouge from 1953 and these catchers mitts are displayed.
feranger
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby okdoak » July 4th, 2012, 6:46 pm

Welcome to the forum Dave. I'm afraid that your glove is probably going to be a tough sell. Because of the full barrel web and laced fingers, it's actually a 1950's or early 60's model and there are a ton of them on ebay. Someone who had the same glove as a kid might be interested in it, but most collectors of 50's gloves are looking for top of the line Rawlings, Wilsons, etc, similar to the ones that the pro's used back then.
okdoak

Postby Zapper24 » July 14th, 2012, 5:13 pm

Thanks Brett and Forum addicts!!! Been using your site for about three months now since i have become a total NEWBIE to the Vintage glove world! Im an employee of a basball facility where we do lessons and other strength and condition programs for Baseball! I work with 6yr olds to PROS! I have become the INHOUSE glove smith the past couple of years and lately the amount of relacing has taking me to the original WILSON A2000 series which i need to learn more about!!! GREAT GLOVE AND SEEMS TO BE A GREAT MARKET FOR THOSE GLOVES! SO IM ALL EARS! Kids these days are more into changing lace colors which is the new relacing fad going through my town and fine for me!!! I would like to start reviving some gloves that been left for dead and the older they are the more i enjoy learning about the model and whats its value may be! more the matter of the value i enjoy finding the true HISTORY of the glove and if someone actually wore that model!
This Web sight has really been a great Home Base no pun intended for any glove collecter! Brett and forums honks should really pat yourselfs on the back for the great amount of knowlege that you all share through this site! I have been in the back enjoying being a sponge but i realized its not fair not to contibute because this is how new questions are raised and new pieces may come to be appreciated in a whole new light! Thanks for allowing me to join and have a place to share a neat and fun hobby! Hope i can contribute although i know im going to be the Newbie like M Langley who dives in head over heels into this but im just really not going to learn unless i get out there and get my hands dirty!
So here i go with a couple questions i hope some of you can point me in the right direction!!!
1) I stumbled across a thread about Glove companies producing gloves for other companies and people had contributed to this list! REALLY INFORMATIVE but now i cant find it! Wilson made gloves for.....
2)I purchased a Olympic glove a garage sale and now after cleaning and oiling i see that its a Rocky Colavito pro model! OL83B and in the palm of the glove it has a player swinging and it says pro player model in cursive! can anyone find a print of this glove or a print of the pic of the palm print? I will take some pics as soon as i get back from vacation!
3) I have a bunch of wilson glove racks! It holds one glove up for display and you can hang display on wall! Cool part is it has a place for label in front! PERFECT FOR GLOVE COLLECTION DISPLAY! will trade or sell let me know if your interested!
Zapper24
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » July 15th, 2012, 6:31 am

Welcome to the forum! Feel free to ask away but don't feel slighted if you don't get an answer - there are lots of things we just don't know. Here is a link to the thread with "who made gloves for who" - we should probably update it
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1862&p=8540#p8540
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby hankaye » April 6th, 2013, 12:54 pm

Howdy One, Howdy ALL!

Just getting started with this new hobby.
Want to thank everyone for being here...
Lookin' forward to some interesting info.
exchanges.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since ... 1949
hankaye
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby smelltheglove » August 5th, 2013, 9:31 pm

Hello I would like to take this moment to introduce myself to the forum. My name is Rich frAKA
Smelltheglove. ( Its always the 1st thing ya do when slipping on a glove is smell it! ) I've only just recently got into glove collecting within the past yr or so. My most recent find was a pre 75 Wilson A2000xl at the Salvation Army for 9 bucks. Its an amazing glove that is far superior to most of the garbage made today. Its all original very minor ink that I've been able to rub out with Horseman's One Step. The stuff is amazing. When I get enough courage I will relace and clean and condition the glove inside and out. I just recently purchased a Wilson A2001 that I relaced that came out nice except the fact I ripped one of the lacing holes that runs along the top of the pocket. Lesson learned was to use a smaller leather tool. I think I will have lot of fun getting into this hobby and thank you for including me into the forum. I am from Saratoga NY
smelltheglove
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby MattyOrioles » September 12th, 2016, 7:26 pm

Hey, thanks for having me! I'm from Baltimore and new to the hobby. I can't believe I have only just started...I have always been in love with the vintage memorabilia of this great game. There's something about putting on an old glove that transports you back in time...almost as if when you open your eyes you're playing catch with Shoeless Joe or Ty Cobb. I have jumped in head first so far, acquiring about 15 gloves to start me off. I've probably purchased some from you guys off ebay...For this post. Ill attach a Bill Doak Brfore/after....my first restoration. I look forward to talking with you all, being a part of the hobby and forum, learning a lot, and getting all of your great advice
Attachments
20160911_015642-320x320.jpg
20160911_015642-320x320.jpg (43.07 KiB) Viewed 65783 times
MattyOrioles
Veteran Glove Poster

Previous

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion