Looking to identify Spalding catchers mitt

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Looking to identify Spalding catchers mitt

Postby tjai » November 24th, 2017, 9:40 pm

Hey All!

I'm helping source some items and I'm looking to try and replicate this AAGPBL A League of their own catchers uniform.

Does anyone happen to know what Spalding glove this might be? I've looked up 1940's Spalding catchers mitts but haven't been able to find it so far. It doesn't have to be exactly the same, but it would be great to know if possible.

And in regards to the catchers chest protector, do you think this was made for the film? I also haven't been able to find one similar.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
aagpbl reference.jpg
tjai
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Looking to identify Spalding catchers mitt

Postby okdoak » November 25th, 2017, 12:28 am

I think their prop dept. fudged a little on that mitt. The tag looks like it's from the 1950s-60s.
I don't collect catchers' mitts so I really don't look them over closely, but I've never seen a 1940s Spalding glove that had a tag on it. The Spalding name was stamped into the wrist strap.
okdoak
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Looking to identify Spalding catchers mitt

Postby tjai » November 25th, 2017, 12:38 am

okdoak wrote:I think their prop dept. fudged a little on that mitt. The tag looks like it's from the 1950s-60s.
I don't collect catchers' mitts so I really don't look them over closely, but I've never seen a 1940s Spalding glove that had a tag on it. The Spalding name was stamped into the wrist strap.

Ah thanks! I did think that perhaps they've done some work on on the chest protector and face mask, so it wouldn't surprise me if they did the mitt too.

Thanks!
tjai
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion