2017 National Sports Collectors Convention

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

2017 National Sports Collectors Convention

Postby vintagebrett » January 16th, 2017, 12:34 pm

After a year off, I will have a booth at the 2017 National Sports Collectors Convention in Chicago this summer. I know it is a ways off but I'm hoping to see lots of glove collectors attending, maybe we can even have a get together on Thursday evening if there is enough interest. Hopefully by the time the show rolls around I'll have some great gloves to entice a feeding frenzy at the booth. Chicago is always a popular destination for the show so book your hotels early! See you this summer!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Re: 2017 National Sports Collectors Convention

Postby rdb34 » February 1st, 2017, 12:47 pm

Brett,

Looking forward to seeing you at the National. Trying to get Ricky to come out again. I offered my couch but he said I have too many kids. Wanted to give him a taste of the crazy.

Any other people coming in to town?

Richie
rdb34
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby atabats » April 2nd, 2017, 3:30 pm

I'm thinking of attending this year. I've never been to one.
atabats
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » April 2nd, 2017, 3:51 pm

It's a fun time for sure. Chicago is one of the best locations for the show. I'll post more as we get closer to the summer. Hope to see you there!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby HolyGrail » April 15th, 2017, 3:37 pm

Brett, the last time you set up, a couple of years ago, you had some awesome gloves, including a Hack Wilson and a webless. I'm on the fence about going, but may do so now. I'd love to have a little glovefest. David
HolyGrail
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » April 18th, 2017, 8:15 pm

As we get closer to the show I'll see how many people are planning on attending and if there is enough interest, try to plan something. I'm coaching two baseball teams until early June so when that is done I'll focus on the National. 8)
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » June 5th, 2017, 1:34 pm

With Little League season winding down, I guess it is time to start focusing on getting ready for the National. I'm excited for the show and hope to have some nice leather for sale - right now I have a decent supply of gloves from the late 1890's up to the 1970's. Have some other items folks might find interesting as well.

This year we will be set up in booth 1043. As I have for the past 5 years, I'll be sharing a booth with Corey Leiby from antiqueathlete.com - he has told me he is bringing some items out of his own collection so expect to see some great stuff on his side of the booth. Mr. Glovecrazy will be attending and I'm sure he will have a bag full of gloves to choose from. A longtime collector and friend from WI will be in my booth Thursday thru Saturday and he is bringing some nice items as well. It is shaping up to be a good time and I hope to see many of you there!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby okdoak » June 6th, 2017, 1:35 pm

I'm looking forward to it, Brett. I'll probably be there the first night and maybe again a few days later.
okdoak
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » June 28th, 2017, 11:07 am

With 4 weeks left until show opens, just wanted to refresh the thread. I have around 100 gloves ready to go and I know there will be more in the booth by the time the show opens. I look forward to seeing everyone that is able to stop by. I'm on my way to pick up the velvet rope that Glovecrazy has requested to sit behind.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby okdoak » June 29th, 2017, 3:38 pm

Well I'm still going to try to come down for one day, even if I have to deal with Rob and his velvet rope. :lol:
okdoak

Postby GloveCrazy » July 5th, 2017, 1:53 pm

Really looking forward to this year's show! Chicago is always one of the best and it's been long enough that I'm looking forward to seeing you guys again, even Seedhouse (just kidding of course, and the velvet rope joke hilarious). My main interest in going to Nationals is and has always been to see you guys in person, and I really hope to see a large number of you there. The Ohio boys, my new Brimfield friends, long term trader friends, etc. I will mostly be at Brett's booth trying to sell his stuff harder than he so come there ready to haggle. Want to see some potential trade stuff, too, so bring a bag of goodies. Can't wait!!!
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby vintagebrett » July 22nd, 2017, 9:06 am

The time has arrived - the show starts in a few days. I"m looking forward to the journey and the show. Please make sure to stop by booth 1043 and say hi - lots of gloves including a few I pulled from my personal collection. I probably won't have the time/ability to post pictures to the forum during the show but will when I get back - if you need an instant fix, check my Instagram (@playokantiques) as I will probably put a booth picture or two there. See you there!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby scottnoble » July 25th, 2017, 10:43 am

Hope to be there Thursday morning, Scott
scottnoble
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby theglovester » July 28th, 2017, 8:08 am

envious of you guys at the convention, since I can't make it can you all keep one good eye open for a righty thrower PM Pepper Martin Rawlings!! can't wait to see the pictures of your display!!!
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » July 31st, 2017, 5:36 pm

Made it back from Chicago. Had a great time seeing all the collectors that stopped thru the booth over the course of the week - that is definitely the best part of attending a show. I brought 82 gloves to Chicago with me and sold 47 of them - that's a pretty good percentage. There were a lot of other glove transactions in my booth from people bringing stuff in to sell or trade - it was fun to watch the excitement of collectors opening a bag or box and finding a new treasure. In walking the show, I didn't see too many things that excited me. I bought 2 gloves the entire week - both were for resale. Rob bought one of them from me 2 seconds after I made the purchase even though I gave him the opportunity to purchase it from the dealer. 8) If there were any good or unique gloves, you had to be on them right away or they were gobbled up quickly.

Special thanks to Rob who helped me throughout the week - unloading the car and keeping an eye on the booth when nature called. It's always a blast to hang out with glove buddies and bust each others balls about our nerdy glove knowledge.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Next

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion