Located off the coast of Los Angeles, Catalina Island was developed as a tourist destination in the late 1800's. The original owners came into financial troubles and William Wrigley, heir to the chewing gum fortune, bought Catalina island for $3,000,000 in 1919. Wrigley intended to significantly upgrade the development of the Island as a tourist destination. Wrigley built a professional grade golf course, lavish country club and in a shrewd business move, He decided to use the Island as a spring training camp for the Chicago Cubs, a baseball team he owned. The ball players seemed to love the balmy weather, scenic surroundings and hobnobbing with the Hollywood glitterati. The Catalina Island ball field was used from 1921 till 1951 when the Cubs moved to Arizona.
The photo below shows the ball field just out side the town of Avalon circa 1920's. The new country club building is seen to the left overlooking the field and was used as the Cubs locker room.
This is a current aerial view. The ball field in the center is gone and is now a maintenance yard for the golf course. The county club building still stands and the original Cubs locker room was preserved.
This 1920's photo shows a golfer teeing off outside the club house. The ball park is in the back ground. There was a small grandstand along the first base line and a row of eucalyptus trees along the third base line separating the field from the golf course.
This view from the grandstand shows the club house on a hill in the background.
This is the locker room used by the players, beautifully preserved and what looks like walnut cabinetry. Wrigley spared no expense!
This is an exterior view of the club house on the hill. Great Moorish influenced architecture.
The Cubs trudging down the hill from the locker room en route to the ball field or an exercise regime around the town.
Calisthenics on the beach at Avalon. Tough life!