Need help repairing a glove box

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Need help repairing a glove box

Postby Bill247 » September 16th, 2015, 11:39 pm

The subject line says it all. The top is ripped, as if something were dropped on it. This is my first attempt at repair, so any and all ideas, tips are welcome. Thanks
Bill247
Veteran Glove Poster

Re: Need help repairing a glove box

Postby mikesglove » September 17th, 2015, 3:11 am

William gave me a couple of great tips. The first is, sometimes the rip is oblique and there are two surfaces however narrow that can be glued back. Titebond makes a molding glue that has a very fast initial tack. I have used it with some success on paper. Second is, Lineco makes a document tape that is almost invisible when applied as a backing for a rip. it is very thin and is 1" wide. Available through an art store or Amazon. One thing I have seen on inside of glove boxes is the paper reinforcement at the corners. it is something like grocery bag paper but not as coarse, more like heavy wrapping paper. I made a little collection of different beige/brown colored papers to rebuild a corner when necessary. I also have a box lid that really sags in the middle. I was going to lightly steam it with a damp towel and iron to flatten it out. Hope the tips help.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Number9 » September 18th, 2015, 5:38 pm

You can usually steam the board itself with just the iron. I'd avoid excessive moisture. A hot iron and graphics usually don't pair well either. Try to do everything from the inside on raw board.

Bill, feel free to send me some pics. I can probably give you some assistance. If it's a clean rip you might be able to realign everything, give it a press with an iron and leave it at that. Glue is great if you have a steady hand. If not, you may be able to skip it if the tear is small enough and doesn't affect the structure.
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9

Postby mikesglove » September 19th, 2015, 1:01 pm

If you decide to glue a torn section, I use a dental probe or number 00 round artist brush to apply the glue. The Titebond molding glue is thick and not prone to running. I just apply a small bead with my dental probe or brush, spread it along the rip about 3/4", hold the seam together with my fingers for 30 seconds or so and repeat along the tear until it is done.
mikesglove

Postby Bill247 » October 5th, 2015, 9:44 pm

Guys, Thanks for the help. I tried steaming without success, so I ordered the glue and tape. I'm not sure how to get email pictures out but it looks like an oblique tear i.e. the top colored edge of the box can cover the middle white edge when I hold them together. Thanks again, Bill
Bill247
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion