Chicago Rookie Call-up

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Chicago Rookie Call-up

Postby Sarge6 » August 24th, 2015, 7:01 am

Hello, folks. Happy to say I graduated from lurker to member this weekend. Since I'm in Chicago, I thought I'd ask a couple of questions about the hobby locally.If you're willing to share your honeyholes, what are good picking spots in the Chicagoland, or even Tri-state, area? I'll volunteer that yesterday I bought a nice Goldsmith Ernie Lombardi at the Wolff's flea market in Rosemont. Then (for when I get into something over my head), what glove repair/restoration jobbers in Chicagoland are friends of the forum, so to speak? Thanks much.

Go Cubs,

Ted
"So. It seems like you're in trouble."
"Yes, Babe Ruth signed that ball."
"George signed this?"
"George Herman Ruth? Yes."
"I take it back. You're not in trouble, you're dead where you stand."
Sarge6
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Chicago Rookie Call-up

Postby vintagebrett » August 24th, 2015, 3:43 pm

Welcome! Having moved away from Chicago almost 10 years ago, I guess I can divulge all my secrets. 8) I used to hit Wolff's and would find something cool once in a while. There are some other flea markets/antique shows - there is Kane County (i've heard it's pretty terrible now), Grasylake, Elkhorn in Wisconsin, Allegan in Michigan. Most of the antique stores I used to visit in the IL area are gone. I used to hit the Play It Again stores and would find something decent once in a while. Good luck in your search.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Re: Chicago Rookie Call-up

Postby Sarge6 » August 25th, 2015, 7:54 am

Thanks much. Have to say this is easily the most interesting and informative forum I've ever joined.
"So. It seems like you're in trouble."
"Yes, Babe Ruth signed that ball."
"George signed this?"
"George Herman Ruth? Yes."
"I take it back. You're not in trouble, you're dead where you stand."
Sarge6
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion