Innovative Glove & Mitt Designs

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Re: Innovative Glove & Mitt Designs

Postby mikesglove » March 10th, 2024, 2:30 pm

Sometimes ball players will alter their gloves to suit their position on the field or playing style. The photo below is Pete Rose with a MacGregor Kangaroo glove with the double T-Bar web.
The phot below is a closeup of his glove and show an alteration he made to the bottom of the web.
The photo below shows how he altered the glove by moving the bottom of the T-Bar web closer to the forefinger stall. He also added a strap across the T-Bar to form a mini X-web.
Willie Mays used a similar glove model and he also altered his glove by moving the bottom of the T-Bar toward the Thumb stall.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » March 17th, 2024, 1:55 pm

A photo from the 1962 movie "Flashing Spikes" showing Jimmy Stewart and Don Drysdale. Stewart is sporting the new Rawlings DCT base mitt.
below is a catalog page showing the features of the model DCT. The early models were designed with a patented web controller. Stewarts mitt above shows that feature.
Below is an example of the early DCT mitts with a sewn web controller.
In 1969-70 the web controller was redesigned. Below is a 1970 Mickey Mantle DCT mitt.
mikesglove

Postby mplsgloves » March 19th, 2024, 6:12 pm

First off, huge thanks to mikesglove for all the great content he adds to this forum. I really enjoy all your posts. And as a fan of 50s-60s MacGregor gloves, I was especially intrigued by the Pete Rose post. However, I couldn't really see the custom modification you were pointing out so I did a bit more digging and found some cool pics and info many of you may also find interesting.

Here's an auction link to what purports to be the actual glove Rose used (and beat to a pulp!) from 1963-66:
https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-collectibles/others/1963-66-pete-rose-game-used-and-signed-rookie-fielder-s-glove-psa-dna-authentic-formerly-displayed-at-the-cincinnati-reds-hall/a/50063-80634.s
And here are the glove pics:

I also found some great pics of this glove in action:

From the pictures you can see this glove is different from the Double T Web design seen most often on the GC12 Mays Personal Model. Best I can tell, it is actually an unmodified KS2 infielders glove which features the "Six Point web". Here's a pic from the 1966 catalog:

I did however also find a later pic from the early 70s where Rose is clearly using a glove with the Double T Web. This makes perfect sense because by that time, he had moved the outfield where this larger model would be a better fit. Sweet sideburns too!
mplsgloves
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » March 20th, 2024, 12:38 pm

mplsgloves, I think you are right regarding the Pete Rose glove. I was on the wrong track. Great digging for pics of the glove that present really compelling evidence.
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » March 21st, 2024, 1:05 pm

The Nokona Howard Pollet G50 glove on the left was made around the same time as the Wilson Andy Pafko glove on the right. They both have the outseam curve form finger construction that was popularized in the early 1940's. The Nokona model is super rare. Too bad about the ink. Still, it sold for $99 on ebay.
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » March 24th, 2024, 1:24 pm

From a 1901 Simmons catalog. Pegamoid was a gelatinous varnish like concoction developed in Germany in the 1890's. Applied to fabric, the Pegamoid could leave a leather like waterproof coating. This process was widely used till our beloved vinyl Naugahyde was developed if the 1940's-50's.

Here's a youth model glove with the textured Pegamoid back and suede leather front. It was recently sold on ebay.
mikesglove

Previous

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion