2015 National Sports Collectors Convention - Chicago

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

2015 National Sports Collectors Convention - Chicago

Postby vintagebrett » January 5th, 2015, 2:46 pm

For all of you that are doing your trip planning for 2015, I hope you'll consider visiting Chicago for the National Sports Collectors Convention this summer. After lots of going back and forth due to an "interesting" show in Cleveland in 2014, I finally decided to get a booth for Chicago as the show has been good/great both times I've set up there. No promises that they'll be anything to see in the booth - as of this time it's just going to be me and some empty cases - but I'll be glad to visit and talk gloves if you make it to the show. The show in Chicago affords you and your traveling companions lots of opportunities outside of the show and it's easy to get to - just a short ride from O'Hare and there are many hotels in the area that are affordable. Hope to see a bunch of you there and I'll update this thread as we get closer to the show.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Re: 2015 National Sports Collectors Convention - Chicago

Postby vintagebrett » May 20th, 2015, 12:53 pm

Just a friendly bump reminding you all about the National this summer in Chicago. Now that Brimfield is done, I can turn my attention to this show. Although William has decided to sit this one out, Corey Leiby of the Antique Athlete will be exhibiting with me again this year. He has been amassing quite a grouping of items so if you are into vintage sports equipment, you definitely won't want to miss some of the things he will have. My item list is decent and hopefully will grow some in the next two months. Rob M., Mr. Glovecrazy, will be signing autographs in the booth and eagerly buying any piece of old leather that comes in. Should be a great time and you should definitely try to get to a National if you've never been. Cubs are in town the whole week and the White Sox have a weekend series, so you can catch a game too.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » July 2nd, 2015, 7:37 pm

Only a couple weeks left until the big show in Chicago. Glovecrazy will not be signing autographs as promised - scheduling conflict - refunds will be given at point of purchase. The booth offerings are shaping up nicely and I'm looking forward to putting out over 100 gloves for your voracious appetites. The show is open to the public from Wednesday until Sunday - I will be packing up Saturday evening as I need to get back home by Monday. Look forward to seeing any glove collectors that want to stop by. Will miss having Rob and William with me this year, but I can say, I won't miss the endless Seals & Croft or Air Supply playlists they insisted on listening to in the car. Since I'm heading to the midwest, will have to construct a strong playlist of artists from that area - definitely throw in some Sufjan Stevens' "Illinois", some WIlco, Jason Molina/Magnolia Electric Co. - they are sure to keep me entertained on my 14 hour drive.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » July 25th, 2015, 8:39 pm

Car is packed and ready to roll out. I'll do my best to post pictures and recap how the show is but I have less help in booth plus will be doing stuff with my wife and kids during non-show times. If you need instant gratification I'll put pictures in my Instagram account (@playokantiques). Hope to see some of you at the show. Secret password for a discount on purchase is "Purple Monkey Dishwasher."
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » August 3rd, 2015, 11:11 am

Back from a whirlwind week and can finally type up a review of the show for you guys. The frenzy began Tuesday morning as I unloaded my stuff into our booth space just after 8 am. We went for a different setup this year - usually I bring larger peg boards to put in the background to hang items on. This year, because I was trying to fit everything into my car, I decided not to bring them and we went with 3 large cases instead. This actually worked out well because those boards take a bit of time to get put in place and constructed. With the cases, I could just unload into them and didn't have to worry about setting up too much infrastructure. Unlike Cleveland, the booth was mobbed from Tuesday morning until we packed up late Saturdary afternoon. I don't know if they release show attendance figures but there were tons of people and it was difficult to walk thru the aisles at points. Most of the people are there for the shiny stuff and autographs but we were able to pull a few people in with our display and show them the fun of vintage gloves. I brought 120 gloves to the show this year and I believe i only have about 35 remaining. My high end gloves sold very quickly and the $20 and under bin was pretty much empty by Saturday afternoon. I had a few opportunities to walk the floor and saw some other gloves - I did pick up a few for resale but nothing was compelling enough to add to my collection. Yes, people's taste in gloves has changed over the years but I still think it's a healthy market and people definitely want nice stuff. I didn't have a chance to take too many pictures but I'll post a few later on. Thanks to all the people who stopped by the booth and said hello - it was great seeing old friends and meeting new ones as well. Met a couple people I've dealt with online for a while and it was great to meet in person.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » August 4th, 2015, 8:17 am

Here are some pictures of the booth and my sons helping me out - it was their first time at the big show and they had fun. My oldest son was quite thrilled to see his name all over the place (Beckett) so we had to find something for my youngest to get excited about (a 1950 Bowman Everett Kell card). Their first love is Legos and of course they were able to find the only booth at the show that sold them. They were quite keen on taking money from customers but were quickly disappointed when they had to hand it over to Dad.

2015national1.JPG

2015national6.JPG

2015national2.JPG

2015national3.JPG

2015national4.JPG

2015national5.JPG
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion