Glove Help

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Glove Help

Postby Broomie23 » April 6th, 2014, 11:43 pm

Gents,

I look at eBay several times a day. I have been checking for a few years compiling my collection. (Addiction) I saw a Ty Cobb glove (hutch) not in the forum? Looks in great shape. Could it be real or fake.
Broomie23
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Glove Help

Postby vintagebrett » April 7th, 2014, 9:20 am

Have never seen a Cobb endorsement on a Hutch model. There are post career gloves made by Hutch with endorsement by Cy Young - they were made in the 1940's.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Broomie23 » April 7th, 2014, 9:37 am

Thanks for the note. That might make more sense. Are gloves ever counter fitted?
Broomie23
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby theglovester » April 7th, 2014, 1:13 pm

Hey Broomie!! Sad to say it but there are some hoodooers in everything. A while back a guy was putting facsimilie autos on old gloves. whipped out the wood burner and making Cobbs, Ruths etc... Not cool!

Get familiar with the gloves via JD's glove gallery, Joe's source books and guides, as knowledge is a powerful thing. If just $30 or so, gamble and figure out if it is legit, cheap lesson. If serious $$ involved, definitely check with some of the OLD TIMERS on here. A bunch of times I have gone to both before bidding, to try and decide if a glove is this or that.

Me...I know enough to be dangerous!!
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » April 7th, 2014, 3:32 pm

I wouldn't be too worried about gloves. Yes, there have been fakes but for the most part they are easy to tell. It's a difficult and most likely expensive task to manipulate leather and stampings to make them look authentic - not much return for the nefarious types to waste their time on.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Broomie23 » April 8th, 2014, 12:03 am

Cool. I am have been buying for a couple years and finally figuring out what I want to collect. I had a conversation with JD a couple years ago and he gave me great insight but it took me a while to figure out. You can't collect everything-figure out what you like and go after it. Sent him some pictures of gloves and he was very supportive. I was hoping for a hidden star but just had really cool old gloves. Figured out you can't clean everything-tried hard. The leather is still crying. Better now and trying to add to me collection. Thanks gents. It is always appreciated.
Broomie23
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion