So How'd That Guy Get His Name on a Glove

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

So How'd That Guy Get His Name on a Glove

Postby jennfox78 » March 20th, 2014, 1:50 am

Ok so I'm a girl and I'll fairly new to this but I don't understand how this guy got his name on a mitt. I just inherited a bunch of stuff from my uncle and though I shared his love of baseball I guess I didn't listen well enough during his history talks. One of the items I was given was a Spalding three finger catchers mitt with the endorsement signature of Frank Zupo. No if I understand correctly he only played parts 3 seasons and except for his wonderful unibrow not really a just big deal in baseball. (I'm sorry I'm not trying to sound ugly or rude to any family or fans of his) So how did he get a Spalding deal? And could anyone possibly give me the decade it was made in? According to the internet this mitt doesn't exist. Any help is appreciated.
jennfox78
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: So How'd That Guy Get His Name on a Glove

Postby softball66 » March 20th, 2014, 8:15 am

A Frank Zupo endorsed mitt is a new one for me, I'm sure. But, new signature or block letter name gloves do show up every so often.
Reserve or part-time catchers are more likely to have an endorsed gloves simply because the glove manufacturers had more
models than available catchers outside of first baseman. They could sign players for gloves from seven other fielding positions.
This Zupo Spalding was very likely made during the time of his playing career as it is in most cases of timing of production.
Hope this helps.
In line with this, I think there is an Eddie Fisher glove from the 1930s on ebay currently that doesn't fit to the 1950s=60s Eddie Fisher who
played. Anyone have any comment(s)? :roll:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby jennfox78 » March 20th, 2014, 1:24 pm

Thank you for the information! I didn't think about in those terms I guess its a lot like any celebrity someone will put your name on if they think they could make some money.
jennfox78
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » March 20th, 2014, 3:44 pm

I'm sure a lot of the glove companies back then were offering as many contracts as possible hoping to have the next great player under contract if and when he amounted to anything. Most likely gave the young guys a small amount of money that they were happy to get - if they panned out, good for the company, if not, not a big loss.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby theglovester » March 20th, 2014, 11:02 pm

welcome to the forum Jenn, I apologize in advance....Kinda neat to have a lady's view on the hobby.

A "Zupo" model, kinda catchy to say that...

well I have a "Hickies" glove and one just ended on ebay, I can't find a thing about Burton Hickies. Anyone find out anything definitive about a Burton Hickies model?? it is in script where autos usually are on gloves, not a makers stampings???

Definitely a keeper, As a Southern Esquire, I can't sell my Hickies
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion