2014 National Sports Collectors Convention

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Re: 2014 National Sports Collectors Convention

Postby vintagebrett » August 15th, 2014, 8:29 am

GloveCrazy wrote: One memory that I'll share is when Mark Walter brought in a couple boxes of 10 year old common basketball cards to sell for $5 each. I've had some experience selling unwanted cards so took the opportunity to ridicule him in advance and make him a small wager he'd get no takers. The third card dealer literally just laughed at him, which I think left a scar. We then tried a science experiment to leave one unattended at the food court for 20 minutes. Nobody took it. Good times ... it doesn't take much to entertain me..

My kids were the lucky recepient of one of these boxes of cards. They've been thrilled to open a pack each morning and it's been fun watching them organize them and order them sequentially, trying to put a set together. Yeah, there is no monetary value but they are great teaching and motivational tool for kids.

Last few thoughts on the show. As Rob mentioned, the interaction with fellow collectors is what makes the trip appealing and worthwhile. This was the 5th year that we've set up at the show and may be the last one. We did not sign up for a booth in Chicago next summer although we still may - wanted to let the emotion of the week die down before signing on. It's a great deal of work and expense to do the show and bring new, fresh inventory every year. I feel a responsibility to to the hobby to continue setting up as I believe that having a great, diverse selection of gloves at the premier sports collectors show is a way to entice new collectors into our hobby. Most of us started out collecting something else and eventually something made us fall in love with gloves. My hope for each show is that at least a few people that come by the booth, see the gloves and fall in love with them. I know it's happened a few times and that is the main reason that I'd like to continue doing the show.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby mikesglove » August 15th, 2014, 1:57 pm

Rob took some nice photos while in Cleveland. I especially like the ball park at sunset. He's modest about it but he also has composed some great shots of out of the way places in SoCal. He has a lot of talent. It's pretty easy to check out online. One of my favorites is the entrance to Rob's glove room.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby GloveCrazy » August 15th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Thanks Mike ... really appreciate it coming from someone with your artistic eye. What Mike is referring to is my Instagram account, CaliExplorer, but as you can tell it's not about sports collectibles. The picture above is the former LA Zoo location that is a cool little picnic spot in Griffith Park, Los Angeles, where they filmed the zoo parts of Anchorman. The entrance to my glove room(s) is more like the beginning of the TV show Get Smart (I wish). Hey, thinking about heading up north next week sometime ... you going to be around?
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby GloveCrazy » August 15th, 2014, 3:39 pm

vintagebrett wrote:We did not sign up for a booth in Chicago next summer although we still may

You guys need to! I know it's a ton of work (before, during, and after), and at times this year for dealers it felt like playing blackjack against that dealer in Vegas Vacation,

but last year's Chicago show was amazing and you guys absolutely need to go next year! Come on, we'll go check out more Chicago spots and gorge out at Lou Malnati's.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby mikesglove » August 17th, 2014, 12:19 pm

Rob, I should be around. I am working on and off so give me a days notice.
mikesglove

Postby vintagebrett » August 20th, 2014, 2:13 pm

If you need a good laugh, here's a review of the show. Glad our booth made the cut and we sold something they liked!

http://grantland.com/features/2014-nati ... onvention/
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby mikesglove » August 31st, 2014, 1:20 pm

For full coverage of the 2014 National, 300+ photos. http://www.sportsantiques.com/index.htm

Some select photos.

Nice laced palm catchers mitt on the top shelf of the glass display. Wish I had a chance at that one.

mikesglove

Previous

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion