Winchester catchers mitt

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Winchester catchers mitt

Postby Islander » December 29th, 2013, 2:07 pm

Hi all. As a newbie to this community I have to say the enthusiasm and the knowledge of anything pertaining to or about old baseball gloves on this site is most impressive. More importantly the generosity members display in the sharing of their acquired and hard earned wisdom is what I feel is truly striking. Living in a small community, a Maine island, where this is the norm I may have taken it for granted. It is reassuring to know people "out there" still continue to act as responsible members of a community.
So with that said I need some advice regarding a mitt my wife found at our island's transfer station. It is a Winchester but I have no idea of the model or year.
It appears to be in fair shape but not sure if it is missing any possible webbing.
The label looks to have worn off and I don't know if that affects it's value. It does have embossed on the back side of the thumb " It's a Winchester" without which I wouldn't even know what it was.
Am interested in selling it but not sure the best way. Any knowledge, advice would be much appreciated.
Wish all a Happy New Year.
Thanks
Islander
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Winchester catchers mitt

Postby glovejunkie » December 29th, 2013, 2:29 pm

Post some pics if u can, it will better help determine age and value based on it's condition. Certainly if it is missing the tag it hurts the value.
glovejunkie
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Islander » December 29th, 2013, 3:16 pm

Trying to but my image size apparently is too big.
Hope to get them posted sometime soon.
Islander
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Islander » December 29th, 2013, 6:38 pm

Here are some shots of the mitt. Any help will be appreciated
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (31.58 KiB) Viewed 7650 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (20.3 KiB) Viewed 7650 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (19.39 KiB) Viewed 7650 times
image.jpg
Islander
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » December 29th, 2013, 9:09 pm

Thanks for the pictures. The value is definitely affected by the missing tag. There was probably lacing that acted as a web. Glove is most likely from late 1920's to early 1930's. With a clean tag and glove in excellent shape, this glove would sell in the $250 to $350 range. In the condition yours is in, probably $100-$150. The Winchester brand is more attractive to Winchester collectors than glove collectors. I'd bet eBay would be your best place to sell.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion