McQueen's glove in Great Escape Movie

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

McQueen's glove in Great Escape Movie

Postby softball66 » October 11th, 2013, 9:09 am

Few nights ago TV was running "The Great Escape" movie that many of us remember as Steve McQueen with his baseball glove and baseball were part of his persona.
I looked at his glove when I had a chance and pretty sure it is a rolled lace Rawlings, probably an RR split finger.
This topic may have been discussed before so I apologize. One of the other movie gloves I remember is the one Morgan Freeman uses in the film, "The Shawshank Redemption." It looks like a top quality and almost new glove. Guess Freeman's character "Red", the scourger, was able to finesse himself a glove. Freeman's a left-hander and throws pretty good. :wink:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: McQueen's glove in Great Escape Movie

Postby mikesglove » December 5th, 2013, 10:06 pm

mikesglove

Postby Number9 » December 5th, 2013, 11:04 pm

Based on the auction prices of his Porsches, Ferraris, and even his sunglasses - that would certainly have to be a top contender for most valuable baseball glove, possibly ever, if it were to surface.
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9

Postby mikesglove » May 16th, 2014, 9:18 pm

One piece front with no-rip thumb looks more like the Goldsmith models of the 1940's.
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » September 9th, 2016, 12:12 am

I based my conclusion of Hilts/McQueen using a Goldsmith glove on the assumption the prop department would use a period correct glove. The one piece face Goldsmith glove being a likely one available in the early 1940's. After looking at other photos, the glove appears to me to be a mid 1950's model modified by the prop department. the fingers are laced, the wrist strap is attached in an overlapped joint and the base of the webbing has a trapezoid reinforcement. The one piece face was common among various manufacturers by the mid 50's, Rawlings, MacGregor, even Denkert. There is a web site devoted to movie mistakes. The German motorcycle Hilts uses in his escape is actually a camouflaged 1960's Triumph. Kind of shakes up one's whole belief system.

I guess it had to happen one day, The Hilts action figure doll. Movable limbs and various extra hands and props including the glove for one's favorite pose.

mikesglove

Postby theglovester » November 21st, 2018, 9:04 pm

Happy holiday Glovers!!! hope all is well!! long time no talk...have we ever came to consensus on what this glove is???? #1 isn't a red rolfe RR. not enough eyelets in web to make a triple tunnel? laced fingers??? looks 50ish unless Steve McQueen wanted the fingers laced, and thought it a good idea while passing time in stalag #9, solid front as seen in other pics. (see previous posts) my gut tells me at first look a Rawlings LF??? then is that a wrist patch? maybe a simple model H doak??? something to mull over as we wait till eternity for spring training?

your in gloves, Drokester
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion