Stamping under palm A2000xl

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Stamping under palm A2000xl

Postby smelltheglove » October 8th, 2013, 10:16 pm

Hey guys. I am in the process of restoring my pre 1975
A2000xl. On the underside of the palm there is a stamp that reads 125B or 1258. I'm pretty sure that its a B and not an 8. Anyway does anybody know what it means?
smelltheglove
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Stamping under palm A2000xl

Postby softball66 » October 9th, 2013, 7:22 am

Pro Stock number. Issued for professional players.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Stamping under palm A2000xl

Postby theglovester » October 9th, 2013, 7:37 am

Morning "Smelltheglove" I have an early A2, 1960-65 Shootn star, and have the same thing, but mine is stamped under wrist, definitely a factory stamping and not added later, it has a "5" and then a faint 4000. My guessing as I have torn quite a few apart, seen complete hides, and bought deerhide remnants, is that it has something to do with the tanning process, Date tanned, inspected, batch #, quality by grading by weight,etc...

The Hides have to be graded so that the better,tougher, Southern Leather goes into A2 or HOH leather gloves, and the weaker Northern leather into the cheaper store model gloves. Makes perfect sense to me!!

AHH "Smelltheglove" catchy moniker, got a whiff when I opened the display case to look at my A2. and I thought I might throw this out as a CSA service to fellow glovers. You all know that little pack of stuff you get in things made in China, that says "Do not Eat"?? It is a dessicant, used to absorb moisture as it is shipped in containers across the Pacific Ocean. I throw them in the glove display cases, the don't smell and absorb any moisture that may be in there, whala.. no mold problem.
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion