Mr. Mitt Collection - It's About Time!

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Mr. Mitt Collection - It's About Time!

Postby ebbets55 » October 4th, 2013, 3:25 pm

I’ve been biting my lip and dying to share these with you all for years. Do you realize how much self-control that required? After much hounding, Jerry said I can post ‘em. These gloves are so exquisite, I couldn’t help but put them in a separate gallery (I also thought it would be easier to see them all at once in all their glory as opposed to searching for Mr. Mitt across all galleries). Do you know how cool it is to put a fingerless glove on your hand? How bout five? I'm pretty fortunate to be able to say I have. It's a pretty neat feeling as a glove collector. Thanks for sharing them Jerry.

I’ve had the pleasure of seeing these in person at his home on two occasions. OMG! That’s all I have to say about that (thanks for the quote Forrest). Enjoy!

Who else is packin’?

JD
http://www.baseballglovecollector.com/gallery/mr.-mitt-collection/
Last edited by ebbets55 on October 4th, 2013, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ebbets55
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Mr. Mitt Collection - It's About Time!

Postby murphusa » October 4th, 2013, 4:10 pm

like looking at an old photograph and seeing someone you had not seen in a long time. Some old friends made their way into Jerry's collection both directly and indirectly. Thanks
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby ScottWNJ » October 4th, 2013, 8:59 pm

So kind of J.D. to post photos of my "want list". :D

Those gloves are absolutely beautiful. The quality and condition are incredible.

I supposed if I saved enough money to buy one quality glove per year, I could build a collection like that.
But at my age, I'd be like 104 years old when I finished.

Congratulations on a fabulous collection Jerry, and thank you for sharing it with us.

Scott
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby softball66 » October 5th, 2013, 7:11 am

EXQUISITE!
Jerry has a keen eye and perception! Thanks for sharing with us mon ami!
softball66

Postby Mr. Mitt » October 5th, 2013, 11:47 am

Thanks, it took a very long time to build a collection, pare it down, negotiate, upgrade, sell everything off and then do it all again. I had upwards of 800 to 1,000 gloves at one point, but much prefer keeping it under 50. I've been trying to convince other hoarders to do the same... you know who you are! The great part of amassing a huge collection is the education that comes with it. There's no substitute for being able to hold all those gloves and compare eras, models and manufactures. You get a sense of what you like and want to collect, then go in that direction. As time goes by, directions change and the collection mirrors this. I am fortunate, and very grateful, to have had the means to put these gloves together. I have enjoyed them tremendously, but partularly the process of finding them and ultimately acquiring them. Some have taken decades and some haven't come to fruition yet!
Mr. Mitt

Postby jpop43 » October 5th, 2013, 2:39 pm

I am very happy that the rest of the glove collecting world gets to see what a few of us have been fortunate enough to set eyes on in person...quite simply, the finest pure glove collection extant! Thanks to Jerry for lifting the veil and thanks to JD for bringing it to us in such an exquisite format.

Great gloves from a great guy who as added much to this hobby of ours...kudos, Jerry.

Jonathan
www.dugouttreasures.com
jpop43
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby stockbuddy » October 5th, 2013, 6:40 pm

Jerry,

An absolutely grand collection!!!! Stunning to say the least. Thanks JD for the posting of the pics.

Jerry, I am glad you have them insured but I hope you never have to use it either.

Great collection man.

Dave
stockbuddy

Postby theglovester » October 5th, 2013, 10:35 pm

WHOA NEllie!!! As I quote Jed Clampett, one of my favorite americans. Awesome Jerry!!

I have done a little geneology, and yes my family tree branches and doesn't circle back, and Jerry, just to let you know, you are my great great uncle's other brothers nephew.... by marriage.

A story about Jerry, back in the mid 1990's my Very Humble collection was under way, and I had a website "TheGlovester" I repaired and fixed gloves for a bunch of people and I did something for Jerry, don't remember what, and he needed a lace for something and I Had exactly what he needed...I threw it in the mail, and thought nothing of it....A couple weeks later a package arrived from him... A full sewn web white D&M, I called and asked "what do you need done to this one??" Puzzled,as it looked awesome!!! He replied it's for you, a start on your oldies... Still got it Jerry, A key glove of my collection from a great guy. Thanks you for sharing your collection pics and doing a favor for a clod farmer in East Tennessee.
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Mr. Mitt » October 6th, 2013, 1:14 am

We may be related, Don, my father's family is from the south... Calabria and Sicily!!! :shock:

I'm glad you kept the D&M all these years!
Mr. Mitt

Postby Mr. Mitt » October 6th, 2013, 1:23 am

I really appreciate the kind words, everyone, but it's beginning to sound like an obituary! Just finally sharing pictures of some gloves, that's all... haven't cured any major diseases!
Mr. Mitt

Postby glovejunkie » October 6th, 2013, 7:35 am

I can't speak for everyone Jerry, but collecting is like a disease to me... Or maybe an addiction;) So...with that said, I'm cured!! Lmao
glovejunkie
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby theglovester » October 6th, 2013, 9:34 am

Nah, live long and prosper! Pining for a christmas present :wink:
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion