A Glove Collector's Nightmare - Dave Cunningham's Story

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Re: A Glove Collector's Nightmare - Dave Cunningham's Story

Postby stockbuddy » October 1st, 2013, 9:14 pm

Hi good hearted glovers,

You guys are just too much. Your kindness in words and deeds are above and beyond the call of this fine hobby. Down the road, mid January or possibly February we will hope to have a new home built. This rent house we are currently living in has very little room so maybe down the road in Jan. or Feb. I will be able to have room for a few gloves.

Guys thanks so much for your kindness towards me and my family. Our glove hobby has some amazing people in it.

I talked with Joe today and appreciated his words of encouragement. I have found some wonderful friends while chasing down the old gloves over the years.

Dave
stockbuddy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Number9 » October 2nd, 2013, 2:31 am

Dave, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your home and your collection. Those photos are horrible and it sounds like you are very fortunate that everyone made it out safely. Considering the circumstances it's nice to hear that your outlook is positive and your sense of humor is intact.

When the time is right to start thinking about gloves, please let us know. I'm happy to pitch in some leather to get you going again.
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9

Postby johnmilner » October 2nd, 2013, 4:37 pm

Truly tragic story Dave. I've watched the video of your collection many, many times. Admiring it and making notes.
That everyone made it out OK is awesome news however. And when it's time to rebuild, I would gladly offer up something from my little collection to help get things rolling.

Ryan
johnmilner
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby stockbuddy » October 3rd, 2013, 8:55 pm

Hi William and Ryan and other glovers,

Guys, your kindness is overwhelming. When the right time comes I will let you know when we get settled into a new home. But, please realize you don't have to send any gloves my way. Your kind thoughts and prayers are more than enough. I appreciate all your words of encouragement. Everyone has been great during this situation and you guys are the best.

Dave
stockbuddy

Postby ebbets55 » December 24th, 2013, 7:28 pm

Merry Christmas All. Got a nice note from Dave C. today that he said I could share.

Lookin' good Dave. You, Erlene and Aaron will be in your beautiful new home in no time. Looks like a mansion by So-Cal standards. JD

Hi JD,

Merry Christmas to you and your family!! I attached a picture of the new house that is partially sided on the sides and back of the house. The work got slowed down considerably on the outside by the snow and ice. They already did get the shingles on the roof and are now doing wiring and drywall on the inside of the house. Feel free to post this picture of the house on the glove forum when you find some time. More pics will follow as the house progresses.

Hope to be in the new place by the end of February. You have a Merry Christmas.

Catch you later.

Dave
Attachments
Dave C New Home.JPG
ebbets55

Postby stockbuddy » December 24th, 2013, 7:39 pm

Hi to all the glove collectors,

JD, thanks for posting the house picture. Things just take time with house construction and mother nature requires patience. I believe this will make us a very nice home and we are hoping to move in by the end of February. but time will tell. More pics will follow to update the forum as time goes on. We have been blessed in many ways this year. I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year too.

My very best to all my fellow glove collectors.

Dave
stockbuddy

Postby glovejunkie » December 25th, 2013, 2:26 pm

Hi Dave,

The home looks great and like it's coming along well, you'll be in it before you know it!! Have a Merry Xmas & Happy and Safe Holidays to you and your family, and everyone out there on the forum for that matter!! Take care, Enjoy the Holidays with your families;)

Eric
glovejunkie
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby stockbuddy » December 29th, 2013, 12:46 am

Hi Eric,

Thanks so much for the well wishes on the family and our new house we are building. it is taking some time but it should be worth the wait. Eric, by chance are you from Springfield, MA?? Have a great New Year and have a blast in your glove collecting.

Best to you.
Dave
stockbuddy

Postby glovejunkie » December 29th, 2013, 8:30 am

Your welcome Dave, and yes I currently live in Springfield, good ol' home of the Victor company. However, originally grew up and spent most of my life in Maine. Again, take care, the house looks like it's coming along very well, you'll have to find a small area for yourself to stash away a few gloves to peak at once in awhile;). Merry Xmas & Happy Holidays to you and your family, good luck with everything!!

Eric
glovejunkie
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby ebbets55 » May 26th, 2014, 1:05 pm

Rebuilt! Congratulations Dave, your house looks great!

Dave even has a new den that is ripe for a few gloves, huh. He won't rebuild the collection but I think he needs a few for color and flavor. What do you think?

JD
Attachments
DSCN0835.JPG
DSCN0819.JPG
ebbets55

Postby glovejunkie » May 26th, 2014, 2:43 pm

Congrats Dave, Beautiful Home!! And yes, I would certainly think a couple gloves here and there would look tasteful and appropriate;)
glovejunkie
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby stockbuddy » May 26th, 2014, 9:41 pm

Hi JD and Eric,

Thanks for sharing a couple of the pics showing our new home in Olney. Now working on trying to get some grass to grow in the yard. :)

I am going to limit myself to around a dozen or less old timer gloves that will reflect glove evolution glove styles and webstyles. vbg. By doing so I will continue to feel linked into our fine hobby. I will not try to replicate the collection I lost in the fire and it would not be practical being several of the gloves seemed to be one of a kind, at least to the best I can remember.. In addition, I spent my glove money on the building of our new home so the insurance money was put to good use for the whole family.

I put up an oak mantle in my small den to display about 6 or 7 vintage gloves doing a frontal view and will use the top of my office computer credenza to display a few more gloves. I think it will be cool to have a few of the old leathers on display.

Eric, might you send me your current snail mail address as I have something I want to send you.

My current email address is cunninghamd1707@yahoo.com Thanks.

I hope all have had a good memorial day and thanks to all our service men and women who sacrifice to protect our freedom in this country.

Dave
stockbuddy

Postby vintagebrett » May 27th, 2014, 12:23 pm

Dave, good to see your house is rebuilt and things are returning to normal - the new place looks great and I hope your family is enjoying it. Good luck with your hobby pursuits and feel free to post here what gloves you are looking to round out your new collection - I'm sure there are people here that would love to help you out.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby stockbuddy » May 27th, 2014, 10:22 pm

Hi Brett,

I appreciate your kind words and yes, this house is finally our new home. :D Below I am listing the gloves I am thinking would be good ones to have for the collection in my den. I am hoping to get decent condition gloves for the den. No rips, tears, mouse chews, or stuffing coming out of the liners. No seam seperations etc. Things we all likely try to avoid as glove collectors. LOL

No duplicates are needed, as I just want one decent example for the period the glove represents. Usually, I don't care about endorsements but I would like a decent example of the endorsed gloves gloves that seem to represent milestones in the glove evolution process.

Wish list for the top of the shelf. :)

Of course a crescent padded 2 inch sewn web would be nice (likely I won't get that glove as it is to expensive.) lol I did not even consider a glove without a web. :P

2 inch sewn web black or white leather would be cool Brown would also work but prefer black or white.
1 inch sewn web black or white leather would be cool
a lace and grommet Doak endorsed web style
A lace and multiple grommets web style
Vance glove with double lace through fingers

single tunnel web
Joe Gordon double tunnel web style with a wide strap through a few of the fingers would be nice
triple tunnel web
solid web from the 50's with lace through all the fingers. An old Musial would be cool but just one in really nice shape might be good.

Other cool web styles I always liked.
I believe the tree web *upside down Christmas tree look) was made by Stall and Dean.
A cool rainey web, ugh I used to have 4 variations of those.

Brett, I just went through my old book and looked at some of the above gloves. Either these represent basic styles for glove evolution or just cool old timer gloves for the top shelf. It is hard to look at all the glove variations I used to have but at least I am still here to share the hobby with you guys.

Thanks for caring.

Dave
stockbuddy

Postby theglovester » May 28th, 2014, 6:52 pm

Uh, those that know why I'm asking don't say anything, But Dave, who is your favorite baseball team?
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion