Relace the Flex-o-matic palm Rawlings gloves?

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Relace the Flex-o-matic palm Rawlings gloves?

Postby Tomstahl79 » August 25th, 2013, 1:02 pm

Hi all,

I am new here, and hope you can help me find some instructions for a project I am working on. I purchased an old Rawlings GJ66 glove to play around with the kids. It was less than $5 bucks and after a couple of rub downs with Vaseline, it feels and looks like new. Like new, that is, except for some broken laces. That's next on the list of improvements for this glove.

It has the Flex-O-Matic palm, and before I get started with the relacing I was wondering if someone has information, instructions, or even photos of how these laces are routed through the glove. I don't think they are routed with the heel lacing, but I could be wrong. Hopefully someone has relaced one and can provide some experience to me for my first attempt at relacing a glove.

Thanks!

Tom
Tomstahl79
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Relace the Flex-o-matic palm Rawlings gloves?

Postby theglovester » August 25th, 2013, 4:24 pm

Hey Tom, Welcome to the world wide forum of baseball glovin, I got started a long time ago by relacing my own, and then learned by doing, Heck, it cant be that hard.. start out relacing by starting at an end and replacing as you go. they all pretty much follow the same pattern. just remember to leave the hide side out where ever it will contact a baseball (i.e. the palm etc..) the inner side of the lace, the soft part, facing out is ok on the back side of the glove. watch out for twists. Poke a small hole in the end of the new lace, crimp a stiff paper clip onto the lace and sew it up. There are more secrets, but fun to do watching a ball game. Good luck
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion