Reach 1 " web glove without leather lining in fingers

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Reach 1 " web glove without leather lining in fingers

Postby 4scuda » July 14th, 2013, 8:49 pm

This is my first post on this forum, I am thankful Net54 members pointed me here. I have been collecting buying and selling for 25 years, but have stayed out of the mainstream hobby. I have enjoyed the interaction with other collectors and hope to do the same here. The glove I have questions about is a early reach mitt I got in a recent accumulation. It is in very good condition, it has one odd feature. The fingers are not leather lined you just feel the wool or whatever the lining is made of. It has a reach stamp. I appreciate any information on it. Also is the other mitt an adults. My hand fits in it fine. Thanks again.
Attachments
reach2.jpg
reach1.jpg
4scuda
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Reach 1 " web glove without leather lining in fingers

Postby Number9 » July 14th, 2013, 9:03 pm

Welcome aboard! Despite the size, the catcher's mitt is definitely a kids model. The button strap and the lack of sturdy features are keys there. The Reach glove looks nice, but it too is an entry level model. It looks nice and soft and in good condition. There's a market for both, but neither are very valuable. The mitt is probably worth around $30-40 and the glove is probably $60-75. It really depends on who's looking at them. Someone who is looking for a nice decorative example would probably pay on the higher side. Both would probably garner a few bids on ebay.
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby 4scuda » July 14th, 2013, 9:31 pm

thanks for the info, the prices are just what I had priced them. I am keeping the mitt and the childs cathcers mitt will be listed on ebay soon with the other 75 gloves I recently purchased. My ebay ID is 4scuda if anyone wants to check them out. Does anyone know when Rawlings started making mitts? I just found this mitt amongst my pile, marked rawlings, looks pretty early. I think it will be a keeper too.
Attachments
early rawlings 2.jpg
early rawlings1.jpg
4scuda
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Number9 » July 14th, 2013, 10:19 pm

That one is circa 1920, give or take a few years.
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion