Age old question, Lefty or Righty??

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Age old question, Lefty or Righty??

Postby theglovester » April 29th, 2013, 7:41 am

Hey guys, I know this is a monotonous qestion and has been answered a ton of times. Most collectors are righties as I and prefer a righty, but surely there should be a premium for certain lefty gloves??? Any crescent lefty is fine with me, as well as a S&D Cobb.. no brainer there. Ruth was a lefty but any Ruth is OK, First basemens mitts have more leeway because thats where Lefties are welcome. My Gehrig is a lefty, I think that is a plus, maybe just me. what brought this up is that last night I won a Spalding 42-104 lefty Trapocket Whitey Ford for $35 ( I only bid $36!), $5 less than what it sold for new?? Original laces, tag, no ink and not in bad shape. Ford was a Lefty so shouldn't this be favored with his endorsement as he was just a pitcher, as it is a top line model?? What about Lefty Gomez. Lefty Grove, Lefty whoever?? Yeah A Lefty Brooks Robinson seems kinda weird unless you are a lefty, Kinda like my lefty Maranville. Scarcity outweighs right/lefty to a certain degree, but who was the last lefty infielder that wasn't a 1st baseman, read it a couple days ago, and he wasn't that bad as I recall?? Outfielder glove have some leeway also, but, like me prefer a righty, Oh well, the big question is what gloves do you guys think are better as a left hand model than a right handed model? Take care yours in gloves! Drokester

Yeah I always add something off topic. Does a one legged duck swim in a circle??
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Re: Age old question, Lefty or Righty??

Postby ScottWNJ » April 29th, 2013, 11:47 pm

I prefer lefties.

I also prefer paragraphs! :roll:
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » April 30th, 2013, 7:27 am

I'm right handed so I prefer gloves that I could use if I chose to. I don't really collect endorsed gloves but if I did, I don't think I'd really care either way. As for resale, LH gloves have a niche but I think historically, have shown a lower price. I can't remember the last Ruth LH glove that came up for sale and not sure if it would bring a premium or not. I think generally, people like gloves for their dominant hand.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby theglovester » May 1st, 2013, 8:51 am

In response to the paragraphical comment, I apologize, I Graduated College with a math major (Calculus, Def. Equ. etc..) and Chemistry Minor and not English. Pretty nifty for a 7th generation East Tennessee Farmer. Thoughts and ideas get in the way of syntax in my mind at times, and the dialect of my posts are full blown southern. In some situations proper english makes people uncomfortable in the south, and they think you are uppity. Therefore my posts will have a southern twang to them as I type slow.

Do I ramble around in my posts.. Yep, big time, but that is me, Columbus, Daniel Boone, Lewis n Clark, they rambled around. We are all different, and I am glad for it. Be a dang boring place if we were all alike. Just been gone from glovin fer to long, withdrawl symptoms I guess... Drokester

This actually works when fishing!!!
Wind from the east-fishing is the least
wind from the west-fishing the best
wind from the north-no fisherman goes forth
wind from the south-blows the hook in the fishes mouth.

A sign we are in trouble, my son had to get parental permission to read John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men!!! guess a Pulitizer and Nobel prize aren't enough?????
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion