OMG!!! (@@)

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

OMG!!! (@@)

Postby softball66 » April 20th, 2013, 7:48 pm

:twisted:
It won't take long for these replica gloves and especially the balls to show up in suspecting hands. Check out his other items. From Las Vegas Natch!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jimmie-Foxx-Rep ... 2a2bf9f5aa

we may have covered him before but had a collector friend who questioned his offerings.

:cry: :evil: :twisted:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: OMG!!! (@@)

Postby theglovester » April 21st, 2013, 1:17 pm

What the heck is this guy DOING!?!?! I have a small autograph collection, but except for my Brooks Robinson auto that came in the Redifinition book series back in the day, I got all mine in person!! I got Lefty Gomez's at a baseball coaches convention at the wilson glove reps display, no body knew who he was, got it for free and he was a great and funny man to talk to if only for a few minutes. People didn't know what I was doing asking him for an auto.. funny...I guess those autos made into baseball cards are ok, and like confederate money, old autos ought to turn brown as the ink had ferrous oxide in it and rusts over time. Dang if this guy is getting these prices I'm going to whittle out some hickory bats and sell them at gettysburg as Shoeless Stonewall Jackson auto bats??? This ain't nowhere near right. Ain't this like the guy who fudged some stampings in gloves years back with silver paint or something?? I remember correctly he did a ruth that no way was right and some others. A word to glove collectors that are starting out and haven't had 20 years of honest advice from Joe Phillips starting out like us old geezers were fortunate to have and also is this... if there is any doubt.. ANY!! don't spend over $40-50 bucks. Shure we all find stuff, a blind pig finds an acorn every now and then, But if it looks to good to be true, and over 70-80 years old it "usually" is. What happens if someone buys one of these and then tries to pass it off to a rookie glover.. New guys my high doller stuff came from the people on here, or was a 30-40 dollar ebayer that turned out to be a keeper after cleaning. if it was a non descript glove it still is worth the 30-40 I spent. Rookie guys, I went flea marketing and had antique stores in 4 cities and went to them one weekend a month, had a schedule, and amassed close to 200 mid grade gloves for cheap, cleaned them up, ebayed them, payed fees, and got my good stuff from JD and robbie n mark n et.al. 5-15 store models for a sewn webbed D&M?? all day long!!! and I learned how to relace and could experiment on cleaning and conditioning on the cheap stuff, before I got a dirty old split finger that turned out to be a Hornsby for $15!!! I guess " Buyer beware" and as P.T. Barum wrote "A sucker born every day" just hate to see this in what I believe is the last bastion of honesty in the memorabilia field of sports collectables
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Rickybulldog » April 21st, 2013, 2:00 pm

That's interesting. I actually bought this glove off of JD or Rob before selling on Ebay. I can't remember the buyer's name, but I remember the glove. It was a G5 vertical tunnel loop endorsed by Red Ruffing. Looks like the seller sands down the leather before doing the signature. Nice catch Joe!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ty-Cobb-Reproduction-Autographed-Vintage-Baseball-Glove-/171027676895?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d20b3edf#ht_70wt_1255
Rickybulldog

Postby okdoak » April 21st, 2013, 8:12 pm

That has to be about the dumbest thing you could possibly do to a vintage glove, even dumber than the idiot who used to paint them. On top of that, isn't there a question of ethics or legality involved forging a signature even if you call it a reproduction? Actually I take that back; the dumbest thing would be someone bidding on it. Pitiful.
okdoak

Postby ScottWNJ » April 21st, 2013, 11:16 pm

He's ruining vintage gloves! Even if he is selling them as replicas, I'd rather have the vintage glove without the stamped signature.
I wonder if he has actually sold any.

Scott
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby ScottWNJ » April 21st, 2013, 11:30 pm

Has anyone tried to contact this snapperhead to tell him that what he is doing is detrimental to the hobby? Whether you collect gloves, balls or bats, this guy is contaminating the pool of available merchandise. At the very least, he should be required (by law?) to label his items as reproductions or replicas, so that they can't be resold by the unscrupulous.

The glove signatures look more like stamps than actual signatures, unless the ink is bleeding into the leather.

I looked at his feedback, and he is actually finding buyers for this stuff! How sad.

Scott
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion