The glovester..some ramblings, Hey to Joe N William

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

The glovester..some ramblings, Hey to Joe N William

Postby theglovester » April 19th, 2013, 9:24 am

Hey guys, hope this finds you all well, not much going on here, some neat stuff on ebay the ruth fascimile (sic) glove is interesting, I like that model, the way the webbing is done, whats the model?? would like to add one sometime to the collection. Missed a glove and I even looked at it!! want to feel sick, A macgregor 70's KANGAROO for FOUR DOLLARS!! picture was fuzzy and i blew it off, UGH and someone got a Maris trapeze personal for $41, not bad. Won an auction yesterday, 4 gloves 4 $40, a V'back with welting between all seams and rolled piping, A maybe? a splitfinger with a busted thumb, wide wrist band (OK? or wilson) may become a rolled webber, a macgre/goldsmith Ashburn? and then a clunker. oh well. I have more fun cleaning and discovering a keeper than an already know glove sometimes. If not anything good it's worth $40 for the anticipation of delivery. Hey brett that grommet webbed glove you have for $45 that looks like a family of squirrels lived in it, you still have it?? That will be a challenge but I'm thinking about it really hard, I dont have a grommet webbed glove. Hey Robbie L may be the bidder on your decker patent mitt an Victor ditson with no lining, yeah a glutton for punishment. Hey William, sent you an email for a leather splitter, (not stripper, illegal to mail them) really works and makes the lace the same thickness for the full length of the lace. Those that don't know the leather on the shoulder of the cow is thicker than on the withers of the cow, (where they stick their head through barbwire etc.. thickens the leather) and the laces usually have a thick end and a thin end. also the laces from tanners is to thick for gloves from the 20's and for the rolled webs, and the lace for the "holdster" hole on rawlings. This $3 invention is foolproof, but you are highly likely to cut your self but cheaper than a $400 splitter. Brings up a topic, I wish I had thought of putting a lazer pointer on a level 30 years ago, this is kinda the same thing, so obvious. The only pick up lately was a $350 push mower for free, the owner left it out in the rain and snow all winter, he said it wouldn't start because the cord broke and a wheel was broken, and I could have it. Amazing how many can't fix a pull cord. Had it running in 10 minutes. Bringing up grass mowing, my cows finally tortured the snowman with a hairdryer long enough to bring back spring pasture, I also bagged a 20 pound gobbler from the front porch. Austin caught a 4 lb Largemouth and the trout are biting. Gotta love spring, the air even smells better. Joe congrats on the JG glove, done well, should have mentioned it was the infamous cover glove of the source book!! hope all is well with you. I still have the article you published of My boy and me, when he spit in the glove at the antique store!!! Framed and in the collection. Big guy, We owe you a bunch, I have made friends I wouldn't have ever known and have gloves I wouldn't have ever found here in east Tennessee. But I miss the the newsletters and that brown ink.. Take Care Joe

Come on guys!!! DD dean, PM pepper martin, Ford/critz DP, will keep asking till someone coughs one up!! Be good and happy glovin. Drokester
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Re: The glovester..some ramblings, Hey to Joe N William

Postby softball66 » April 20th, 2013, 7:53 am

HI Don, hated to part with your superbly done Johnny Groth glove. It went to a good home though. Long time collector.I believe I played with a JG in high school glove many decades ago (sans the rolled lace) but
not remembering for sure. You're right about the fuzzy pictures and sloppy descriptions helping out some keen-eyed glover purchasers.
Speaking of Kangaroo gloves, I sold two or three out of that lot of 100 plus gloves I bought last fall. Those seem to always do well but especially the MacGregors. I bought an experimental Nokona Kangeroo
glove in 1957 (limited retail production), but lost the glove when I went into the service. Seems like it was very thin. I think that MacGregor and Nokona went to a heavier kangaoo leather with the "Big Red"
skins in the 1970s. Nokona still makes variations of the Kangaroo (using on the back of gloves to save weight).
:wink:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion