Rawlings

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Rawlings

Postby MichaelBryceWinnick » April 7th, 2013, 7:21 pm

Good evening. This is my first post. Hello to all.

I bought my glove in 1980, bought a second glove in 1982, and just wondered if there was anything special about them other than the fact I worked to buy them and have kept them between my matress and box spring for the last 30 years or so with a ball in the pocket. I bought them at Oshmann's in Topanga Plaza. I never miss an opportunity to throw a ball around in the backyard. 4 years of college. 3 years of law school, I was always able to afford a game of catch.

My curiousity is really as to whether they were made in the USA.

Rawlings RBG 10 Jose Conseco (getting re-stitched this week-for the first time)
Rawilings PG 26 Dave Winfield (leather getting reconditioned)

For trivia, tell me what you can about these gloves. To me they are first class because I do not know any better. I catch flies-line drives-grounder-pop flies-sometimes I am catcher-sometimes I play first base-sometimes I play infield-sometimes I play outfield. The glove cannot tell. The gloves must work. I never dropped a ball because of the glove.

I had NO idea people collected gloves until I found this website. The reason I have 2 gloves is that in '82 I wanted to play catch with my girlfriend. I forgot she was a righty. I figured I would break the glove in for her at a game over the weekend and I could not return it.

The Dave Winfield glove was a must have for me. He gave the world a reason to believe that Steinbrenner was knucklehead.

What can you tell me about the gloves other than they are 30 years old and came from a sportingoods store inthe San Fernando Valley?

My guess is you will tell me it was a run of the mill glove for a kid in school then and it is a run of the mill glove now. Perhaps, but it is mine.

MBW

Thanks

MBW
MichaelBryceWinnick
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Rawlings

Postby softball66 » April 8th, 2013, 1:27 pm

Well you should love your gloves! A player's best friend.
Both of your gloves are very likely imports, made in Taiwan likely in the 1980s. You can find the country of manufacturer on the back patch sometimes or on the back of the little finger. The RBG10 is a mid level glove and probably sold for about $50 to $60 I would imagine.
The Winfield PG26 will probably be in the same price bracket new.
Keep playing catch and thanks for posting!
:D
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Rawlings

Postby MichaelBryceWinnick » April 8th, 2013, 6:19 pm

Thanks. $60.00 in 1980-1982 was serious money for me. On the otherhand, think of all of the money I have spent since then and what do I have to show for it? College was the biggest get rich quick scheme I ever fell for.

Thanks

MBW
MichaelBryceWinnick
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion