2013 National Sports Collectors Convention

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Re: 2013 National Sports Collectors Convention

Postby vintagebrett » August 8th, 2013, 2:41 pm

I must add that Rob was very helpful in making Ron's pile even bigger. And thanks to Rob for his purchases - over 90% of the items he bought came from the right booth. 8)
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby glovejunkie » August 8th, 2013, 2:52 pm

Like I said, first booth I'll be visiting if I ever make it there, lol, you guys put together some amazing stuff!!
glovejunkie
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby GloveCrazy » August 8th, 2013, 2:54 pm

So where's slick Willy's report? He didn't look so good the day after the two German beer litres but certainly he's recovered by now.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby GloveCrazy » August 8th, 2013, 6:33 pm

Now that my brain haze has cleared a little, here are some of my recollections:

Snooze You Lose - Not bragging but I have four of the five Spalding trophies. Never really intended to collect them all but I am a closet figural trophy/sculpture collector of all sports and just wound up with the Spaldings (and a ton of other figurals of all sizes). The one Spalding I am missing is the catcher version. The night before the show Brett offered me one for a reasonable price that just happened to be stamped from Orange County (where I am from). He also offered me a large Bobby Jones golf figural. I didn't commit and figured I'd just wait it out a little. A half hour into setup, with just a bunch of boxes laying around a dealer came by Brett and William's pile of stuff and asked if they had any large figurals. Ten minutes later, the two huge beauties plus a stunning batter trophy were gone. I was very happy for Brett -- and a little relieved -- but learned a valuable lesson about the importance of striking while the iron is hot.

Spoked Solid - Brett had heard that I also have a collection of old football helmets and knew that I'm a little nuts for Stall & Deans. He told me about the Stall & Dean spoked Football helmet and offered me first shot at it. I learned my lesson from the story above and jumped all over it. Because it was bulky I just left it in his cabinet for a couple of days. I finally had to put it away because so many people kept inquiring about it. We thought that price was about right, but in retrospect it may have gone for more given the interest. Thanks man!

Knocked Down a Peg - It was fun watching Brett film the video above and he is a total natural. I felt a little like Rodney Dangerfield given the main topic of it being gloves sold for the movie 42 and I sold the movie a ton, but I was genuinely very happy for Brett. Really. The next day a local camera group asked "us" if they could film the booth as a cut-in to their news report. Just when we were feeling pretty good about ourselves they asked us to step out of the booth ... they wanted it without us in it. We acted a little offended but it was really funny. No respect.

The Gut Feeling - Brett and William know a lot of people at the National. For two particular dealers, we had heard that new gloves were going to be brought out the next day. On the first, Brett had me go on my own with the understanding that any unique OK or Sonnett would be his. There were none. On the second, Brett just had a feeling that one would be there. The dealer was late that day but Brett just had a feeling and we basically circled like vultures until he got there. I think we both ended up with a couple pretty good deals, but Brett's was a unique Sonnett 3 finger that was an updrade for him. He just knew.

Deja Vous - First of all it was a little surreal for me hanging out with Brett given that his dad Fred is one of the collectors who really got me hooked into collecting. I told Brett and William the night before the show about how it was the box from Fred in the way early days (I checked and it was August 1996) that contained a butter-soft 30s Marathon Mule Haas and other fat 40s softies that took collecting to a new level for me. The Haas is still one of my most cherished gloves and proudly displayed. Brett added to the mystique of glove when he remembered finding it with his dad at an antique flea market when he was still a lad. Very cool, indeed! Similalry, meeting in person for the first time and hitting it off so well with Doug Wolk -- who was another early glove friend -- was very special and a little surreal. My first deal with Doug was in March of 1997 when he sold me my a butter soft Goldsmith UN model Elmer Riddle (igniting the Riddle flame). Buying that softy Tony York from Brett was an offering to the glove spirits for the early softy deals. The circle is complete.

Maybe I should travel more!
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby Bravosin99 » August 8th, 2013, 10:38 pm

JD-
My dog Maddy said she wants to have glove and hair styling tip talks with your dog :lol:
Glad to hear everyone had a great time at the national! Brett, William, & Rob you did an amazing job with the booth it looked great!!! Wish we could have been there...
Bravosin99
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » August 9th, 2013, 11:14 am

I think the best part of the whole National experience is getting to meet fellow glove collectors. Over the years I've attended and set up, I've enjoyed the face to face interaction with numerous people I've dealt with online and via telephone over the years. I've mentioned this to a few people, but glove collectors are cut from a different cloth. Yes, they are competitive in their search but are thrilled when one of their brethren finds an impressive piece. Also, I enjoy discussing the focus of collectors collection - since there are so many paths to choose when collecting gloves, its interesting and educational to see how glove collectors go about their search.

I know Rob is semi-retired but if he's looking for a new line of work, he'd be an excellent salesman. When people were picking up gloves in the booth he'd talk them up and give the customer numerous reasons why they'd be silly to leave the booth without making the purchase. I'm more of a "any questions ill be happy to help but leave the customer to their own devices" type so it was nice to have that contrast working.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby GloveCrazy » August 9th, 2013, 1:32 pm

Brett is spot-on with his comments about meeting and spending time with fellow glove collectors, and what I believe to be the best reason to go to a National. There just is a common bond that percolates whenever we get together with so many great stories told from such a deep-seated passion.

Speaking of which, it was also great chatting with the three Ohio boys (Paul Montesano (pmontesano), Bob Seedhouse (21seed), and Randy (joedomvince), who are in the group picture above). I hadn't seen Paul for years (Cleveland National in 2001) and it was really great catching up. Missed you this time, Mark Walters. Hearing them talk about their planned get-together at next year's show has me pretty excited to make the trip. I'm already bugging Mr. Daniel and Anderson about it, and would love to see more of the influential guys from my early days like Wayne Curley, Fred Lowman, Jack Marden, Mike Tinney, and Joe Phillips. Come on guys, let's say it's the 20-year anniversary of something.

As for my role this year, that was largely overplayed above, but thanks. I was merely a loiterer who occasionally talked to potential newbies about playing with gloves rather than just hanging them up on the wall. That's all. The amount of work that it took Brett and William to prepare for the show, load and drive the rental van cross country, setup and organize the booth, man it nonstop through the week, and then pack up the remaining stuff and drive back home was huge, though. They literally had their booth diagramed and most of the price tags printed out in advance. Let's just say that my experience in Anaheim in '06 was less planned out, and leave it at that. I still don't know how they got so much stuff in the van this year. It looked like one of those circus cars where stuff kept coming out. Rows and rows of wood beams and backing boards and boxes, oh my.

And If I were such a good sales person I would have left with less than I brought! I brought with me a bag of really nice trader gloves and I don't recall showing them to anyone. Anyone! I carried the darn heavy thing around with me most of the show and forgot to break them out, even to particular collectors I meant to show them to. I amaze myself sometimes.

Shut it Down - about mid way in the show I walked by a small card booth where a guy was absolutely berrating the dealer with obsenities and accusations of being a counterfeiter and a cheat. The smaller guy with strong accent went on-and-on and was pointing fingers and calling names -- loudly -- at the larger man who was surprisingly quite composed. This went one for what seemed like an eternity. I walked by 20 minutes later and the guy was still there talking to someone on the phone. One hour later and the police were there closing down the dealers booth. Not really the outcome I expected, but it was pretty wild.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby vintagebrett » August 14th, 2013, 3:59 pm

Finally got to take a few pictures of the stuff I got along the way. One is a plastic flip calendar thing that sat on William Sonnett's desk (engraved with his name)- very excited to add this into the collection. The other is the glove that Rob alluded to - the one that I found via ESP. 8)
Attachments
IMG_1558.JPG
IMG_1556.JPG
IMG_1557.JPG
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby GloveCrazy » August 15th, 2013, 12:30 am

Pretty neat you got to meet William Sonnett!

Speaking of people named William ...

Willhunting.png
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby mikesglove » August 15th, 2013, 8:45 pm

William may have gone back to Chicago to find the owner of this vintage VW Transporter he spied at a local Chicago flea market during the National. At the time it was NFS. It's a sweet ride.
BQ0ujvSCEAIVcYna.jpg
mikesglove

Postby ScottWNJ » August 15th, 2013, 8:54 pm

Brett, I love the flip calendar. Very collectible.

Now that I've closed my consignment store, I'll have more free time. Hope to make it to the Cleveland show next year.
(Was hoping it would be in Baltimore again)

Scott
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby GloveCrazy » August 15th, 2013, 10:03 pm

Mike, they had a lot of interest in this, too.

schwing.JPG

I was riding in the back of the rental car truck shell on the way back from the flea market with them when all of a sudden we come to a screeching halt. I think I had metal grating impression marks on my face from the grating inbetween the cabin and the back. I thought we almost got in an accident but it was to check out weenie car. He may have gone back for that.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby Number9 » August 15th, 2013, 11:12 pm

Both are sweet rides. Given the opportunity, I'd rather overpay for the Transporter than be given the WeinerMobile. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

My disappearance should not be worrying anyone :D After a week at the National, with all the driving, setting up, selling, talking, walking, eating (burp), drinking, breaking down, packing up, driving back, unloading, reloading, driving some more.... it was nice to turn off the wifi and spend some lake time with the family. Since then, I've been reminded by more than a few of you that I need to get back to work :D It's all good, and work is being done.

Thanks to all who stopped in the booth for a few minutes, or for the whole week. It was a ton of fun and I had a great time hanging out with all of you.
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9

Postby vintagebrett » August 16th, 2013, 11:06 am

GloveCrazy wrote:Mike, they had a lot of interest in this, too.

schwing.JPG

I was riding in the back of the rental car truck shell on the way back from the flea market with them when all of a sudden we come to a screeching halt. I think I had metal grating impression marks on my face from the grating inbetween the cabin and the back. I thought we almost got in an accident but it was to check out weenie car. He may have gone back for that.

Being the driver of said cargo van, I stand by my brake slamming to pull into the parking lot with the Oscar Meyer car. No sane person would pass up the opportunity to bask in the awesomeness of the 'Lil Link. Just because you're an avowed Armor hot dog aficionado doesn't mean the rest of us had to pass up a photo op with the wiener mobile.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby GloveCrazy » August 16th, 2013, 12:02 pm

Ha! For that you have to post your picture with it, not that there is anything wrong with it.

Now if it were a Lou Malnotti's deep dish pizza car I could understand, or maybe just a friendly little warning to the cattle in back. Just sayin.
Attachments
PizzaHeaven.jpg
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion