Buyer's Market

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Buyer's Market

Postby NewSouth » March 2nd, 2013, 9:23 pm

I dug into my mound of gloves and pulled out some interesting gloves. I cleaned them up and found some nice surprises. Probably nothing that would be a big deal around here, but you guys are used to the cream of the cream of the crop. I like to find obscure items, even if they aren't particularly valuable in terms of dollars. The problem I have is that with the floodgates apparently still open, I'm not sure it makes sense to even try to sell anything right now.

How long do you think the maple laminate table top explosion is going to keep going? I'm there are many more in the collection but are they all coming out now?

I may just work on some bats instead and just wait it out.
NewSouth
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Buyer's Market

Postby mikesglove » March 2nd, 2013, 10:25 pm

If you sold one at a time, you would do OK.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby gashouse_34 » March 2nd, 2013, 10:54 pm

Do you have a list of the gloves you are trying to sell? You could do quite well by listing them here for sale as well i'm sure...or wait it out for ebay.
gashouse_34
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby NewSouth » March 2nd, 2013, 11:16 pm

I appreciate the idea but I'm really new here and I like coming here to read and talk about gloves and the hobby. I don't really know too many people in real life that have any idea what I'm talking about in regards to bats and gloves so this board is awesome.

I buy and sell a lot of gloves and bats but I really love the history of baseball and getting to see and hold so many different models from different eras. Some of the gloves I've cleaned and sold have ended up here in the glove of the month section but most of them are far below the status of the gloves I see here. I probably feel like I should not use this as a place to sell gloves so I can enjoy it more as a place to talk about them. Maybe I'll feel differently later.
NewSouth
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby softball66 » March 3rd, 2013, 9:45 am

The Case of the Maple Laminate Serial Seller. Looks like he's still got about 30 gloves left to go right now. ("Stop me before I sell another glove.") So, it's better to sort of lie in wait at this point, till the deluge is over. It will be hard to determine in coming months just how much available glove money has been siphoned off our market right now. On the other hand the exposure may have brought new interest to the glove hobby.
:? If you have the more modern gloves you could, like Mike says, sell a few at a time for the time being.
softball66

Postby vintagebrett » March 3rd, 2013, 1:33 pm

The great thing about listing here is that it doesn't cost you a penny. If it sells, it sells. If not, you can always go another route to get rid of it. Also, there are lots of glove collectors that have different tastes. You may think what you have doesn't measure up to what people here collect but I think that is misguided thinking. The gloves posted in "Glove of the Month" are supposed to be the cream of the crop, most interesting gloves. There are 1000's of gloves that sell on eBay each month - just because they weren't posted doesn't mean they aren't a quality, collectable glove. I have over 300 gloves in my collection and I would say that a vast majority aren't worth more than $40 each. I enjoy them for what they are and there are lots of collectors that feel the same way.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Number9 » March 4th, 2013, 8:23 pm

I agree with Brett, post away!
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9

Postby NewSouth » March 6th, 2013, 12:36 am

Here is the group that I've been working on (no pictures yet):

- Reach Bob Garbark Catchers Mitt - Two toned, buckle back
- Denkert Freddie Maguire - Split finger, buckle back
- Odell Hale - Not sure of the brand, looks like a circle - split finger, 2 tunnel, buckle back
- Reach Frank Hayes Catchers Mitt - buckle back - Geo. A Reach Label
- Globe Joe Stripp -Split finger

All in decent shape but stampings aren't great on any except the Stripp. I don't think I could see the player stamp until I cleaned them. Some are hard to see clearly even after cleaning.
NewSouth
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion