Different style gloves for same player

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Different style gloves for same player

Postby softball66 » February 21st, 2013, 10:32 am

Interesting story about versatile utility players who have to play different positions:
GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- Newly acquired Reds utility player Jason Donald is unlike many other players who play multiple positions. Often, utility players keep several different gloves in their locker. For example, Todd Frazier had nine different gloves when he was a utility player.

Not Donald.

"I just keep one for the infield and one for the outfield," Donald said on Tuesday. "I've found it's the easiest thing to do, for me. I know everybody has their own ways of doing it. The more routine or normal I can make it no matter where I go bodes a lot better for me."

There have been perhaps a dozen players who have had the three basic gloves: catchers mitt, baseman mitt and fielders gloves as endorsed gloves. To name a few:
Ruth, of course, because of popularity. Some who had their own glove companies like Stan Musial. Some versatile players like John Blanchard, Joe Torre, Rudy York, Johnny Bench, had the three basic styles. How many more can we name? :D
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Different style gloves for same player

Postby ebbets55 » February 21st, 2013, 12:24 pm

Hornsby, like Ruth, had all three styles of gloves and mitts.

JD
ebbets55

Postby Gloveguy » February 22nd, 2013, 12:54 pm

I believe that Rawlings produced catcher, first base, and fielders gloves with Curt Blefary's signature. Don't believe that any were high-end.
Gloveguy
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby softball66 » February 22nd, 2013, 8:42 pm

Lest we forget Ted Williams.
softball66

Postby mikesglove » August 18th, 2014, 12:26 pm

Three styles for "Dizzy Dean" from Reach/Spalding. One of the most popular players of the 1930's. This one recently from ebay.

This one also recently from ebay.

This one I found buried on the web from someone's blog. Great cloth patch on the back.
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » August 21st, 2014, 2:27 pm

Jimmie Foxx played first, third and catcher. There are many base mitts endorsed by him but surprisingly no catchers mitts found to date despite many photos and baseball cards depicting him in catchers gear. A long time collector in NorCal has a Foxx fielders glove. I think it is the only one known. He found it at a Santa Cruz antique shop at least 20 years ago. I urged him to bring it to one of our glove collector get-togethers in San Jose but he never did.
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » September 21st, 2014, 2:27 pm

Three from Leo "Gabby" Hartnett. There are a few different brand catchers mitts endorsed by Hartnett. They are pretty easy to find on ebay. The one below is a nice one from Legendary Auctions with a picture box. Hartnett spent his 20 year playing career with the cubbies, was a great hitter and in the MVP voting for 10 of those years and was elected to the HOF in 1955.

The next two are a lot tougher to find. They are Banner brand.

This one is especially stylish and a very cool lace web. Banner/Peerless had some distinctive designs.
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » September 28th, 2014, 3:25 pm

Jimmie Foxx did some pitching in 1945. he started 2 games and came in as a reliever in 7. His ERA was 1.59. He played all the positions except 2nd base in his long career.
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » June 10th, 2015, 12:00 pm

Ray Gardner endorsed gloves and mitts. He was a popular endorser with Peerless/Banner although he played only two years as a shortstop/second baseman circa 1930. All are interesting styles.

mikesglove

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion