Floodgates open

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Floodgates open

Postby softball66 » February 19th, 2013, 10:56 am

don't know how the glove of the month researcher is going to keep up with the Tsunami of leather coming from one dealer. Some rare, rare glove names:
Orville Jurgens, Chet Morgan, Zeb Terry, Jo Jo white, Bud Clancy, Louis Berger, Hal Warstler, Herman Franks, Del Pratt, Johnny Mostil, Marty Caggaghan, O'Dell Hale, Adam Comorosky, Jack Burns, Monte Irvin, John McInnis, Allyn Stout, Jack Russell. Any comments>>> :roll:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Floodgates open

Postby deebro041 » February 19th, 2013, 10:18 pm

There are some exceptional gloves for sale. Wish I were allowed to bid. :(
Dan
deebro041

Postby mikesglove » February 19th, 2013, 11:15 pm

That maple laminate table top is everywhere. Will it ever end? Seriously, there are some pretty good gloves to be had at decent prices.
mikesglove

Postby softball66 » February 19th, 2013, 11:27 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen. On Many of these decent gloves, it is a buyer's market! Poor fellow doesn't really know what he has, or doesn't care, just assembly lining them out.
I will try and pluck one I like.
softball66

Postby vintagebrett » February 21st, 2013, 11:27 am

Definitely a buyers market - too much product out there right now. Tons of nice gloves went off in Hunts last night and I thought the prices were pretty low overall.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby murphusa » February 21st, 2013, 12:49 pm

vintagebrett wrote:Definitely a buyers market - too much product out there right now. Tons of nice gloves went off in Hunts last night and I thought the prices were pretty low overall.

I was the consignor of 68 lots of gloves last night at Hunt. While the prices may have been low I was pleased with the results and made a handsome profit on the lot.

It's a business for me and things come and go all the time.

While gloves were low but profitable, other memorabilia I had in the auction did extremely well.
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby vintagebrett » February 21st, 2013, 1:07 pm

Glad you did well - it was nice to see a wide variety of affordable, quality pieces in one auction.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby mikesglove » February 21st, 2013, 3:55 pm

The seller from Texas informed me he was selling some of John Graham's glove collection on ebay. I recognized some of the gloves from his book. There are also a lot of different bidders than I'm used to seeing. May be there are new collectors attracted to the wide variety of offerings.
mikesglove

Postby softball66 » February 21st, 2013, 4:46 pm

Murph, glad you did ok on your gloves. If you buy them wisely, you can come out ahead. And Mike's contention of new buyers scooping up some of these and beginning an interest in more, bodes
well for our hobby. I'm selling off some dabbles and had that 125 glove sale and must have come across several dozens of different buyers in the past six months. A couple of old timers have come back to the table too.
The most irritating aspect of the Texas Seller is that he lists every glove as "scarce" which, of course, they aren't relative to the glove market. I'm sure that helps draw attention to his sales but it creates a mind set for uniformed buyers.
Must be 30 or 40 boxed gloves on the Texas sale.
softball66

Postby murphusa » February 21st, 2013, 6:49 pm

Thanks Brett and Joe.

Joe I would like to comment on you use of the wording,

"creates a mind set for uninformed buyers"

We can't worry what someone thinks or not about an item of memorabilia unless it is out and out fraud. Buyers are just that. They don't want to be taken advantage of but they want to buy.

Last night in the auction, there was an item up for bid that is available online for $89.99 plus tax and shipping. A buyer paid over $500.00 plus shipping, and 15 % buyer premium. Which means there was one or two others who were bidding on it also.

Place you item up for sale, intice the buyers with great words. There is something in our minds that tells us we want it and have to have it
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby softball66 » February 22nd, 2013, 8:12 am

Jim, I understand your comment to a degree.
But my statement was in context with "very scarce" on every glove listed.
If a "rookie" buyer buys a glove he thinks is scarce and find out later it's an MJ99 Mickey Mantle, the glove is not "very scarce."
If someone buys a glove that is not described as a replica and finds out later it's a reproduction. If someone buys a "Mint" glove and finds a hole in the lining, not mentioned in the description. Of course they can send it back but they have been deceived.
If someone wants to pay $100 for a $5 bill that is a common $5 bill, but described as "very scarce" and it isn't then the buyer feels mislead. There are some Silver Certificatess, rare mint production, etc. $5 that are rare.
In other words, the buyer is making his or her decision on the item being relatively "scarce" based on what the seller is saying about it.
Entice your reader with great words, but NOT with misleading words. I do worry about perceptions in our hobby based upon misconceptions, especially for the newcomers.
softball66

Postby murphusa » February 22nd, 2013, 10:02 am

thanks, I was not saying go lie, but people will buy what they want and you have to learn from your experiences. While places like this can give a collector an education, there are plenty of things in life that don't have it so people are left to their own accord.

My problem is I don't understand collecting and the "needs" that goes with it.
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby softball66 » February 22nd, 2013, 11:10 am

Jim, I understand what you are saying. You're responsible for what you buy, whatever the reason or desire. And I grasp that the seller in this instance didn't want to
spend a lot of time, if any, learning about what he was selling, even though his sales are reaching 200 vintage gloves.
Might read the book: "Collecting, An Unruly Passion." The film, "Needful Things."
Anyway this is a good discussion for the topic.
I learned yet another lesson recently in selling the 125 glove lot that I purchased from a storage sale, and one thing for sure there are always surprises on eBay both good and bad.
:D
softball66

Postby murphusa » February 22nd, 2013, 11:38 am

Auctions and even one on one sales are always an experience.

What is a good price or what is high or low changes day to day. Price guide says this glove is worth $250.00 in excellent condition, so I buy it and now a year latter the new guide says $275.00 so I try to sell it and it bring $125.00.

What????

Watch auctions, learn, get an education from them and buy and sell as you would with anything. Make good choices, buy good stuff and in the end you will make out.
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby deebro041 » February 22nd, 2013, 12:36 pm

Jim and Joe, you have a good discussion here. I have yet to sell anything, i am just a collector and one of the biggest things i have learned is to be patient. I understand one has to do their own research and learn as much as they can to feel good about purchases, but if you don't win an auction or miss out eventually the item or similar item will come up for sale again. (researching and learning is as fun as winning an item :wink: )
Dan
deebro041

Next

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion