Horace Partridge Glove...Is it just me??

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Horace Partridge Glove...Is it just me??

Postby jpop43 » February 14th, 2013, 9:31 pm

Listen, I don't want to breech etiquette or anything like that and figure that most, if not all us, check the ebay glove listings regulalry if not daily. So, I don't think I'm "outing" anything here at all...besides, I'm kinda interested in this glove and wouldn't be doing myself any favors if I thought I was. All that said, is it me/my eyes or did something "happen" to this glove between the time it was offered in Ledgendary and now??

I'm looking at the listing pics and comparing them to the way it appeared in Legendary and the way it still appears in images on Jim's site. Could it be the lighting, the angle, or the distance from the camera that makes it look so...shall I say, different? I am just wondering if anyone else thinks that it sustained some wear or damage over the past several months?

Here it is the way it was depicted in Legendary:
horace-partridge-full-web-front-legendary_800.jpg

horace-partridge-full-web-back-legendary_800.jpg

Nice lookin' piece, right.

Here is the way it currently appears on ebay:
hp front new.jpg

hp back new.jpg

I took particular notice of the reverse of the glove...it looks like the area that had some ink was worked on with an abrasive and there are some real dark and/ or dirty spots that previously appeared "clean". The other thing is the patch...what happened to that pretty patch!

Again, my apologies to anyone who thought that they were one of the few sets of eyes that have seen the glove. My itent is not to blow up anyones spot, but rather poll the community for some consensus on the condition of this piece.

Jonathan
http://www.dugouttreasures.com
jpop43
Veteran Glove Poster

Re: Horace Partridge Glove...Is it just me??

Postby Mr. Mitt » February 14th, 2013, 10:37 pm

I don't think anything was done to the glove, just terrible lighting in the eBay listing. It actually looks like it's placed on a scanner, though likely just a single, misplaced light source. Legendary's pics appear to have multiple lights surrounding the glove, eliminating shadows in the nooks and crannies of the leather. I could be mistaken, but I'd just chalk it up to poor presentation.
Mr. Mitt
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby deebro041 » February 14th, 2013, 10:55 pm

I agree with Jerry, I have seen the sellers bats listed and the lighting seems off with shadowing.
Dan
deebro041

Postby ScottWNJ » February 14th, 2013, 11:01 pm

Definitely looks scanned. At least he could have cleaned the glass. Its a mess.
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby jpop43 » February 15th, 2013, 8:17 am

OK...good...so it is me. Glad it's not the glove...that would have been a bummer for such nice piece. Thanks.
jpop43
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby softball66 » February 16th, 2013, 10:37 am

I agree that the lighting, contrast on the glove is just flat bad. Photo effects can make gloves look better or worse. And, we all know, the better image we project in our
listing, the more interest we will generate.
A lot of the "bargains" found on ebay come from poor lighting and photo techniques.
Good catch on noticing the vast differences.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby jpop43 » February 19th, 2013, 9:31 pm

$717 with buyers premium back in November of 2011 (Legendary)....tonight, $307 on ebay.
jpop43
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion