Stall & Dean panel back glove

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Stall & Dean panel back glove

Postby mikesglove » September 13th, 2012, 12:34 am

This is an interesting glove if someone is a niche collector. There are several design variations and endorsers. I suspect one could easily collect 10-12 different models. I am not sure of the time period but would guess 1935-45. The "Woody English" model below features a laced wrist strap and intricate reinforced tunnel loops with tunnel webs.Image
The stylized endorsement along the pinky is pretty nice.

The Stall & Dean back panel design borrowed from the 1926 Denkert back panel patent and preceded the 1950's S&D "Crown Back" models.

Below are a couple of different Stall & Dean "Marty Callaghan" model 8070 gloves. Both are buckle back models but the first photo has the reinforced tunnel loops and the bottom has a more traditional sewn-in tunnel loop webbing. One thing I like about the S&D buckle back design is the guitar shape. They used this for a number of years. It reminds me of the Martin "Dreadnought" guitar. What a great name for a glove. Forget about the "Ace" or "Favorite". Here comes the "Dreadnought".

Below are two different button back models with double finger lacing and wrist snugger lacing. The first photo is the "Woody English" model. The bottom glove has only one tunnel loop webbing. It was unidentified in auction but is a model 8082 which was the "Hack Wilson" model number for some years.

Below is a "Chas. Gehringer" button back model. No tunnel webs on this one, just lacing through the tunnel loops. All these endorsers mentioned had earlier model gloves from S&D. One or two endorsers may have stopped playing by the time these gloves were manufactured.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion