old timer's glove

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

old timer's glove

Postby softball66 » May 10th, 2007, 8:18 am

It's not too often we see a gamer from one of the ML old timers from the early 1940s. It's up on eBay right now. Remember how Wilson put that funny little lip under the thumb of the glove to avoid putting a seam along and up the thumb (which would often give under the stress)?
Here's the writeup:
"this is a wilson model #602 streamline top of the line glove in 1942 used by Ray Scarborough in his rookie year(his 1st game was 6-26-42) when he pitched for the Washington Senators.the picture shows him wearing this glove. I attended high school at Southern Wayne high school in dudley, n.c.5 miles from mt. olive which included mt. olive where ray lived and worked for the mt. olive pickle co. as a salesman. his daughter attended the same school i attended 3 years ahead of me. i was scouted by ray in high school when he was working as a scout for the baltimore orioles. this glove has been on display in the little gem barber shop along with his game used spikes(in another auction) in mt. olive n.c. the barber shop was owned and operated by my cousin until his retirement and the shop was sold and will come with a LOA from him stating how he came into possesion of them. ray used to joke that he chose a wilson glove because it says "its a wilson" on the thumb and  "Wilson" was  his middle name and this way his glove wouldn't get stolen. the glove has his uniform number 10 stenciled on the thumb. included in the pictures is a photo showing him using the glove and the spikes in his rookie year. also a photo from my high school yearbook showing a sponsorship ad from the pickle company ray worked for. next time you are in the grocery store look at the pickles and you will see mt. olive pickles. mt olive is the pickle capitol of the world. ray also started the baseball program at mt. olive college and tried to get me to attend there. the glove is in great game used condition and it appears the web has been relaced at one time. a great piece with great provenance."
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Hey softball 66

Postby Mike**Mize » May 10th, 2007, 2:46 pm

Nice going, Joe. That is a remarkable glove.
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion